Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Vortex 5.7 misfire issues

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2017, 1:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Vortec 5.7 misfire issues

Alright.... from the beginning... 98 model 5.7 k1500. Bought it... had bent valve, rebuilt it... new pistons, rings, valves, etc tc... I did most "machining" I could on my own... ground my valves, surfaced my deck and heads, honed my cylinders, installed my own bearings cam and crank... only upgrades are aluminum distributor, shorty stainless headers, upgraded spider injectors... I took my block, heads, cam and crank (which I polished at home) to a reputable machine shop to check my work... all good, he only had to resize 2 rods cause they were a little egg shaped...

So... I put her all together and can't seem to get my timing degree right. It's at 27 degrees at 1k rpm. Way off... but... it runs well, you'd never know it were off if you heard it.. however... 98% of the time soon as I hit 3k rpm... it starts cutting out and running like total ****. Let off, it hits the next gear, runs great till I hit 3 grand again... it now has about 3000 miles since rebuild.. it seems like it should have more power than it has... not always but every once in a while I'll get the p0339 code crank sensor blah blah... I've taken this distributor out and per book installed it into its correct position about 3 times... the last time I did it I was able to get to a tech 2 scanner and do the cam crank relearn and that dropped it down to 11 degrees at 1000rpm but it didn't stay there it lasted about 10 minutes and I went back to 27 degrees.

I may add my cats are gutted, and my egr pipe is not there any.more. I do have a pending egr code but doesn't go active. I also code for o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2, assumable for not having aNY cats on this thing... any ideas? It's driving me nuts.

My only thoughts were I mat have a junk distributor and have considered dropping g the original back in... or my new crank position sensor is junk... I haven't had the cam crank correlation code since I did the relearn process though... which was over 1500 miles ago. Just the cutting out and possible loss of power!

Oh... and it occasionally will run just fine and not cut out, I can get smoothly to 5k with no issues... see my delima?

Last edited by Wmortell; August 18th, 2017 at 1:33 AM.