Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1500hd Silverado , roll through an intersection with a brake pedal pulsating

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2017, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500hd Silverado , roll through an intersection with a brake pedal pulsating

I have a 2001 1500 HD - no check engine lights or ABS lights lit up .I was driving through town I applied the brakes and I felt a pulsing in the pedal and it did not want to stop ,Abit scarey not having control of your vehicle anybody have any thoughts ?
Old August 17th, 2017, 8:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you are having a abs false activation event. one of the wheel speed sensor signals is dropping out. the vehicle sees this as the wheel locking up and opens the dump valve to release brake pressure to that wheel.
this only happens at slow speeds because that is when the signal is the weakest.
without proper equipment; the best way to find the bad sensor is to remove the wss from the knuckle. any that are stuck and can't be pulled out are the problem. rust builds up, and changes the air gap between the sensor and reluctor...causing the drop out. any that are stuck; replace. any that come out; clean the mounting surface and re-install
Old August 17th, 2017, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
you are having a abs false activation event. one of the wheel speed sensor signals is dropping out. the vehicle sees this as the wheel locking up and opens the dump valve to release brake pressure to that wheel.
this only happens at slow speeds because that is when the signal is the weakest.
without proper equipment; the best way to find the bad sensor is to remove the wss from the knuckle. any that are stuck and can't be pulled out are the problem. rust builds up, and changes the air gap between the sensor and reluctor...causing the drop out. any that are stuck; replace. any that come out; clean the mounting surface and re-install
Make sense makes sense - I'll give that a try thank you