Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1999 z71 electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2019, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 z71 electrical issues?

Issue just started recently, truck will start fine and run perfectly and then every once in awhile when I shut the truck off there will be no electricity at all. Locks don't work, all lights immediately off, no horn, no cig lighter power, everything is just dead and won't start. Opened up the hood and battery cables are all snug and everything appears fine, if I jiggle the under hood fuse box (sometimes i need to give it a couple good whaps) the power will come back on and I can start the truck and it will run just fine until it happens again. Could be the next time I drive the truck or could be a week before it happens again. I'm at a lose of what it could be or how to go about chasing the problem. When I opened the box up the first time there was a bunch of fuzz and insulation in the box like a mouse had been in there? But I cleared all of it out and it ran fine and now it is happening again. Any thoughts would be helpful but I need to get the truck running reliably, has no problem running when it gets started and is running.
Old July 15th, 2019, 2:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 99z71guy
Issue just started recently, truck will start fine and run perfectly and then every once in awhile when I shut the truck off there will be no electricity at all. Locks don't work, all lights immediately off, no horn, no cig lighter power, everything is just dead and won't start. Opened up the hood and battery cables are all snug and everything appears fine, if I jiggle the under hood fuse box (sometimes i need to give it a couple good whaps) the power will come back on and I can start the truck and it will run just fine until it happens again. Could be the next time I drive the truck or could be a week before it happens again. I'm at a lose of what it could be or how to go about chasing the problem. When I opened the box up the first time there was a bunch of fuzz and insulation in the box like a mouse had been in there? But I cleared all of it out and it ran fine and now it is happening again. Any thoughts would be helpful but I need to get the truck running reliably, has no problem running when it gets started and is running.
Hit it with high pressure air. Disconnect battery and soak box with Isopropyl alcohol, Allow unit to dry for days in the sun if possible. Use a fan, but no fumes as the fan might set them off meaning a fire.

Hit it with WD-40 or like product. Allow time for that to soak in and down, blow out all you can with air, or drill hole in bottom of unit to drain,before you connect battery.

You can modify with contact cleaner which will be much faster. It all depends on time frame. Keep rodents out of vehicle with anti-rodent repellents. Have a cat? Mine kills everything in sight, sound or smell. Cheap to keep too. They will kill even on full belly.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; July 15th, 2019 at 2:25 AM.