Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2000 chevy 3500 p/u, and the gas pump shutting off when filling.

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2019, 3:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 chevy 3500 p/u, and the gas pump shutting off when filling.

It just started. I thought the evap canister was clogged, and I think it might be, but I disconnected the line from the tank, and put an air hose to it yesterday. (*No gas blow out).

Today it still took about 10 or so minutes for just 6 gallons to go in. (3rd time taking forever to gas up)

It would click off. Squeeze it again, a few cents go in. Click off. Squeeze it again, a few cents go in.

I tried the "lift" the nozzle angle.

"lower" the nozzle angle.

Even removed the nozzle and put it back in several times. (with that evap line disconnected)

-I'm here in so cal, we have those fume catching sleeves on the nozzle, so they have to be in the filler neck so far, for the sensor or trigger to let gas flow. Can't just put the nozzle tip in the filler neck, the sleeve won't allow flow.

This morning, I was thinking and got wondering.

The gas guage hasnt worked in years, but used to bounce, and when near empty, would hover near "E". - Maybe two weeks now, its pegged solid on full. Could the float be triggering some other sensor or valve inside the tank.

- It's not full. No way is it.

A hose down the neck goes straight in, and i swear, touches bottom, the end of the hose is just damp.

Now I know this thing gets 8 mpg, maybe 9 on a good day.

Crew cab, long box, 7.4(454)

4 gallons=32 miles...cause I've run out.

I'm watching the trip OD.

6 g = 48 mi..

I'm at 40 miles

tonight, fourth time fighting with it, at 4.2 gallons, or so, and gas is rushing back out.

a huge puddle on the ground.

Hour later, one more blow out of the evap line to the tank (cause, why not? i have no idea what's wrong), and with a -cigarette lighter powered compressor at that-, gas is just gushing out the filler(cap off).

I stuck the hose down the neck at the station, and the majority was wet.

Then just before that last blow out, maybe a third if the length.

This make sense to anyone?
Or make sense what's wrong?