Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2000 Z71 4WD problems

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2015, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Z71 4WD problems

5.3L/Auto/6.5' bed/Ext. Cab/Silverado/Z71/240,000 miles...

4 button 4X4, Auto 4WD/2WD/4High/4Low

My 2000 has had a long running 4wd issue, but where I live and how much I needed to drive it has prolonged the fix for almost a year and while I'm closer I'm still not fixed.

Prior to this it has always worked flawlessly.

February 2015 as I pull into the driveway the truck shifted itself into 4 High. I shifted it back into 2WD, parked and shut it off. The next morning when I left the house I noticed it was back in 4 High. I put it back into 2WD again and drove about 5 miles looked down and it was back in 4 High? Left it there for now since it was slick anyway. Got home put it in 2WD and it went the I selected 4 High followed by 4 Low and back into 4 High and that all went ok but then it wouldn't go back into 2WD. Could hear the Transfer case shifting and whirling but it wouldn't go into 2WD.. The selector lights would blink transfer case making a sound then settle in 4 High.

March 2015 Spring I pulled the Transfer case Motor off and it was all rusty and rattled when Shaken. Bought a new one at Autozone and continued to have the same issue after installing it? Removed the new one put the truck into 2WD manually and reinstalled the old shift motor after I cut the wires so it couldn't shift itself back into 4 High.

November 2015 the transfer case started making noise and found the chain rattling. Changed the Transfer case with one form the Junk yard, re-installed the transfer case shift motor bought in February and started with the truck in 2WD, pulled out and drove it down the road and it shifted it's self into 4 High. Grr...

December 2015 Replaced first the selector switch (New) from Autozone and then a used TCCM from a junk yard and now I can switch from 4 High to Auto 4WD and back and forth but it still will not go into and stay in 2WD??????

4 High drives like 4WD, like it should.. Auto 4WD also Drives like 4 High but I thought it was only supposed to engage the front axels when the transfercase clutch detected a slip? Otherwise It feels like I'm still in 4 High..

Anybody got any ideas? There is a service 4WD message in the message center but my scanner can't find a code...