Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2001 1500 4wd stuck in 4LO / security issues??

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2021, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 1500 4wd stuck in 4LO / security issues??

Needing help very badly please. My ATL 20 amp fuse under the hood keeps popping. I can't get my 4wd out of 4LO. I bought a new transfer case motor to install.
Problem #1: this "supposed" certified mechanic came to look at the truck and repair it. The key was lost and He tried to go around it and pulled the wire out of the tumbler. He said he put it back together and the ignition just turns straight through with no accessory step. And it won't start at all but everything else is normal ???
Problem #2: We tried to tow the truck to my house to now find the back wheels are locked up and the front wheels roll. Before that guy messed with the truck it would drive and start up perfect but move in 4Lo, I have not drove the truck but just to move it in the parking area. In order for the truck to get towed the man had to drop the drive shaft so we could pull it on the trailer.
Question ?? Since he disconnected the security wire from the tumbler / ignition would that cause the truck to not start to be reprogrammed now and for the back wheels to lock up so it can't be stolen?? This is my first time posting so if I don't get right back then im trying to figure out how to reply if anyone comments on this and can help please. So much appreciated. Thank you very much for anyone's time to comment.
Old April 19th, 2021, 8:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

By “ATL” do you mean “ATC” since that’s the fuse that powers the transfer case control module? Does it immediately blow when a new one is installed or do you have to turn the key on before it blows?

Whatever your “mechanic” did to bypass the security needs to be undone. Pictures may help determine this for sure, but it sounds like the key cylinder will need to be replaced and the pass lock system relearned.

The anti-theft system only disables the engine - it shouldn’t be locking up the rear brakes. If a hack job has been done to the steering column and dash wiring to bypass the system, who knows what wires have been spliced together and the malfunctions it’s causing.

Disconnect the battery and repair the pass lock system and any wiring that’s been tampered with to its original condition. You can try reusing the key cylinder you have but be prepared to replace it.

Originally Posted by Cheryl Johnson
Needing help very badly please. My ATL 20 amp fuse under the hood keeps popping. I can't get my 4wd out of 4LO. I bought a new transfer case motor to install.
Problem #1: this "supposed" certified mechanic came to look at the truck and repair it. The key was lost and He tried to go around it and pulled the wire out of the tumbler. He said he put it back together and the ignition just turns straight through with no accessory step. And it won't start at all but everything else is normal ???
Problem #2: We tried to tow the truck to my house to now find the back wheels are locked up and the front wheels roll. Before that guy messed with the truck it would drive and start up perfect but move in 4Lo, I have not drove the truck but just to move it in the parking area. In order for the truck to get towed the man had to drop the drive shaft so we could pull it on the trailer.
Question ?? Since he disconnected the security wire from the tumbler / ignition would that cause the truck to not start to be reprogrammed now and for the back wheels to lock up so it can't be stolen?? This is my first time posting so if I don't get right back then im trying to figure out how to reply if anyone comments on this and can help please. So much appreciated. Thank you very much for anyone's time to comment.