Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2001 Silverado upgrade side mirrors to 2003 power folding mirrors-wires don't match!!

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2021, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Silverado upgrade side mirrors to 2003 power folding mirrors-wires don't match!!

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4.
I purchased new power folding mirrors for a 2003 Silverado (aftermarket, not from GM) to replace my manual folding mirrors that only had power mirrors to adjust the direction of the mirrors. No heat(defrost) no turn signals, no power folding mirrors.
The new mirrors have the following options: power folding mirrors, power directional mirrors, defrost and turn signals.
I have been able to figure out the wiring for the power folding option, I have figured out how to wire the turn signal and defrost I think(orange and black wires-truck was wired for it, original mirrors didn't have the defrost option but the truck was wired for it..
Here is my dilemma... I'm unable to figure out how to wire in the directional movement of the mirror. This is the one option that worked on my old mirrors but now doesn't work on the new mirrors. Real nice right?
Anyway... I'm going to include some photos to help you help me. My old single black 8 pin harness only had three wires feeding the mirror. White, Green and Yellow. I used a test light and found that when using the directional power mirror switch on the door panel each wire was lit up by going through the different directions.
Hope I haven't lost you yet so please bare with me...
The new mirror came with a 10 pin black harness and a 10 pin blue harness. Nothing plugs in or matches up, why would it. I take on the most complicated projects most people wouldn't bother with because I love aggravation.
So I will include photos to show the wires of the blue and black harnesses.
Keep in mind, I figured out the turn signal wires, power folding wires, its the directional wires I'm having trouble with.
This is the hook up I tried and DID NOT WORK:
YELLOW FROM TRUCK HARNESS TO YELLOW ON THE NEW HARNESS
WHITE FROM TRUCK HARNESS TO LIGHT BLUE ON THE NEW HARNESS
GREEN FROM TRUCK HARNESS TO LIGHT GREEN ON THE NEW HARNESS.
You would think it was that easy, nope!! I reached out to the company that sold me these ebay aftermarket mirrors and they don't have a clue what all the wires go to or what they do. GOOD TIMES!
So my mirrors are useless. I hope someone has attempted this upgrade successfully and is willing to help me. I'm assuming there is a ground wire that I missed which is preventing the directional movement of the mirrors to work.
Or something else all together.
By the way, I hooked my original mirrors back up, re-wired everything up as it was prior to taking on this stupid *** project and sure enough everything works on the old mirror. MEANING I didn't blow a fuse or damage the directional switch on the door panel.
Any help would be awesome! Thx!
See attached photos.