Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2002 5.3 Fuel Injector Shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2022, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 5.3 Fuel Injector Shenanigans

2002 5.3l
Truck ran OK, but long term fuel trim was way too high.
Replaced injectors with Delphi, same brand and part number as the old ones.
Install went OK.
What I forgot, was I had unplugged 1 coil, and left the fuel pressure regulator unplugged when I first started it.
It idled like crap, then realized, plugged them back in properly.
Truck still ran like crap. Later in the day, come to find the engine not cranking, like it was locked up.
This morning I pulled the plugs, and wires, which were all DEFINITELY toast, gas poured out of the plug holes.
Manually turned the motor, seemed ok, not locked up.
Oil dipstick smells like gasoline, so I will be changing the oil.
I have new ACDelco Iridium Plugs and new wires on the way.
So my question is, should I try running it with new plugs first? Or should I try something else for fuel injectors.
(Side note: I now have 0 fuel pressure, I can hear the pump for a second when I turn the key, I’m assuming this may be because I emptied the fuel rails of fuel, and haven’t ran the truck yet, so the vacuum for the fuel pressure regulator hasn’t run at all)
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old August 19th, 2022, 7:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

It would help if you posted the codes you received at the time you got the fuel trim info.
Better yet, if we were able to see the data stream info , can you post that info, thanks.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (August 20th, 2022)
Old August 19th, 2022, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanky
It would help if you posted the codes you received at the time you got the fuel trim info.
Better yet, if we were able to see the data stream info , can you post that info, thanks.
Hey Hanky, thanks for the reply. I originally threw p0171, bank 1 too lean, STFT was about -2 through positive 3 both sides, LGFT was at 25, both sides. After replacing fuel injectors I got code p0300.

I found the issue, and it’s the fuel injectors, I got junk knock offs, for being cheap. I need new ones. Should I spend $150 on refurbished ones? One of my old injectors broke the harness plug.
Old August 20th, 2022, 1:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by clapped5.3
Hey Hanky, thanks for the reply. I originally threw p0171, bank 1 too lean, STFT was about -2 through positive 3 both sides, LGFT was at 25, both sides. After replacing fuel injectors I got code p0300.

I found the issue, and it’s the fuel injectors, I got junk knock offs, for being cheap. I need new ones. Should I spend $150 on refurbished ones? One of my old injectors broke the harness plug.
I'd go with new ones. Sure, if a shop did it, it would be mucho dinero (more money). Always use good gasoline.The cheap junk will cause issues. My Chevy K-1500 has never had an issue with fuel injection, as I use good gasoline (not ARCO which is garbage and bought their way into being called a "top tier" gasoline), and I use Techron Complete, along with mostly Chevron gasoline, along with Shell, Union 76 and Texaco gasoline. 24 years on a set of the older style Chevy injectors wasn't a fluke.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 20th, 2022 at 1:08 PM.