Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2002 Silverado Transmission

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2020, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Silverado Transmission

Brother hit a deer last night. Dead center front, took out the grill and transmission cooler. Drove it home about 15 miles, unknowing leaked out all the transmission fluid. Made it home barely with transmission slipping badly the last few miles.

What are the chances that the transmission has been seriously damaged?

Thanks,

Don

Overland Park, KS

Old November 5th, 2020, 8:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Its almost certain that the transmission was damaged, but the transmission can be rebuilt, A deer could have come through the windshield and harmed your brother. A bit of advice about deer is don't bother flashing lo-hi beam lights, always use the horn. This mostly applies at night. Napa auto parts put deer whistles on all of their semi's.. I don't know if they work, or not but like a dog whistle a human cant hear them. I've has some close ones with deer. My late uncle was a deer hunter.(best deer jerky in the world) One time he almost got creamed by a logging trucker (They are crazy as hell, trust me I drive semi's too) another time the deer did hit old Land cruiser and tore it up bad, but he didn't get hurt. Whole front end was tore up good, but he made bank, and just had it repaired.