Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2003 Chevy silverado - ignition switch or starter

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2016, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy silverado - ignition switch or starter

I have a 2003 Chevy silverado 4.8L. Over the past year I have occasionally had problems getting the starter to crank. I get in my truck, put the key in the ignition and proceed to try to start the truck. The dash board lights up and I hear some relays click but the starter won't do it's thing. When this first problem first started, I would try few more times and finally the starter would engage. After the first time, I thought this is odd but the problem did not come back for months.

Now jumping ahead one year, the frequency of this same problem is almost daily. I am looking for help to see if I should start checking the starter or focus more on the ignition switch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 4:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd check the battery cables
Old November 24th, 2016, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I checked that first. All is good with battery cables.
Old November 24th, 2016, 8:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

+1 for checking for loose battery cables
if the starter relay is clicking, its not the ignition switch. you can also check for power to the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position to confirm this.

next time it happens, have someone hold the key in the start position and tap on the starter housing with a hammer or long heavy prybar...if it cranks, the starter brushes are worn.