Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2003 Chevy Silverado LS Ext Cab 4WD 5.3 Gas (AC PROBLEM)

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2016, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Silverado LS Ext Cab 4WD 5.3 Gas (AC PROBLEM)

Looking for some AC help on this truck

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado LS Ext Cab 4WD 5.3, that the AC is not cooling. Listed below is what i have checked. Took it to the shop and they told me that the system was full of r134a, but the compressor was not pumping. They are wanting to replace the compressor and the dryer. I would like to check it out myself if anyone can give me any info or help on this.

1. AC Compressor is engaged and running.
Old June 12th, 2016, 9:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

so the compressor clutch is cycling on and off but the shop says its not developing pressure.
this can be easily verified with a set of manifold gauges. Without that, feel the suction and discharge lines...the lines out of the compressor should be hot, the lines out of the accumulator should be cold. if they are both the same temp...its most likely a bad compressor.

the accumulator, orfice tube and compressor should all be replaced.
if not replaced as a set....no warranty on the compressor.
ideally an inlet screen should be put on the suction port on the compressor but only a dealer would have the kit of screens to do this.
Old June 12th, 2016, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Tested

Originally Posted by tech2
so the compressor clutch is cycling on and off but the shop says its not developing pressure.
this can be easily verified with a set of manifold gauges. Without that, feel the suction and discharge lines...the lines out of the compressor should be hot, the lines out of the accumulator should be cold. if they are both the same temp...its most likely a bad compressor.

the accumulator, orfice tube and compressor should all be replaced.
if not replaced as a set....no warranty on the compressor.
ideally an inlet screen should be put on the suction port on the compressor but only a dealer would have the kit of screens to do this.

Ok so i checked the lines like you said. The small metal line at the dryer is ice cold, and the other rubber line coming from the compressor is barely warm. Is it possible that the compressor is pumping, but not correctly? Is there anything else in the system that you think i should replace. What about the old R134A, should it be reused or discarded.

BnB

Last edited by bnbelectronics; June 12th, 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old June 12th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

hard to say without testing the system. When you rev the engine up to 2500rpm and hold it at that speed; does the system performance improve?

is the temp blend door moving?
Old June 12th, 2016, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

While sitting still and idling the engine up it doesn't cool very well at all, it cools better while driving down the road. On super hot days it just takes it for ever to cool the cab of the truck down while driving.
Old June 12th, 2016, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, it has dual manual when i move them too hot it is super hot air.
Old June 12th, 2016, 3:13 PM
Super Moderator

need to know the pressures and temps to go any further. A set of manifold gauges and temp probe would be needed to do a system performance check.

the condenser airflow is not blocked? check the front and back for debris