Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2003 Chevy Silverado Windshield wiper issues! (new to forums)

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2017, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Silverado Windshield wiper issues! (new to forums)

Good day to all of you cyber Chevy heads!! My old man turned a wrench for GM for 30 of his 42 years as a mechanic, and I was raised on Chevrolet. (just a bit about me)

I bought a 2003 Chevy Silverado 4.3lV-6 recently for$ 250.00 from a family member. It is a base model truck, but I'm old school, and of the mind that a truck is not supposed to be luxurious.
Anyhow, I have been doing all the repairs necessary to get it back in like new condition. When I got it, It had been sitting for several years. The windshield wipers didn't work at all. So I just decided to get ahead of the game , and replace the multi function switch, the pulse board and motor all at once. (I am aware that lots of issues occur with the wiper system ) So, after finally getting the wipers to receive power and actually turn on with the switch... They are doing something crazy that I cant figure out.... Initially after the install of the new parts, when turned on, they would just pull themselves down and not move at all.. Then I removed the wiper arms and turned on the switch to each position...and each one seems to work fine. Then I put the arms back on, and same problem. So I take them off and adjust them ..they actually wipe the windshield, but they also keep banging the black plastic below the windshield. Then I tried cutting the power right at the point the wipers turn on and drop down, Pulled the arms off and adjust them and tighten them ... turn on, and again they smack the plactic below the windshield. I took them off and readjusted the arms 7 different times until I finally got frustrated and had to walk away. ..So I go back out and turn them on and now they are just pulling down and not moving up again.. also the last time i turned them on before I gave up..they were acting eratically, and following the intermittent or shutting off properly..
I really need help,
I can fix an engine and do most all of my repair jobs..(transmission aside)
But these freaking windshield wipers (which a logical mind would assume should be an easy job) are kicking my ****!! I have been working on them for 3 weeks. waiting for the parts included in that time of course.. I do not want to give up, and I dont want to pay a mechanic 300$ to fix them..It cannot be that tough..I just need some insight one what exactly is going on. I have not purchased the factory shop manuals yet, and All Data DIY is lacking

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or if you need more info in order to understand If I am missing somthing, please let me know.
Thank you, and Let me state that this is a good use of the internet!! I am glad this forum is here!