Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2003 GMC Sierra loses power when trying to start.

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2020, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 GMC Sierra loses power when trying to start.

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra that rides on air suspension sitting on 22's that I can't figure out why it wont start. When I attempt to start the truck and turn the key to turn the accessory power on, everything seems fine. But when I turn the key to actually crank it over to start it, theres ONE decent sized POP coming from under the dash and then the truck loses all power. The power seems to stay off for a varying amount of time but usually after an hour or two, truck once again can turn the accessories on but if I attempt to start it, same pop and loss of power. Truck has a 4.8 in it, reg cab short bed. Air compressors run off their own battery. Any help would be beyond greatly appreciated. Plz email me if you have has this problem before and know how to fix. Thanks

Joey.p.gokie@gmail.com
Old December 5th, 2020, 2:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey G
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra that rides on air suspension sitting on 22's that I can't figure out why it wont start. When I attempt to start the truck and turn the key to turn the accessory power on, everything seems fine. But when I turn the key to actually crank it over to start it, theres ONE decent sized POP coming from under the dash and then the truck loses all power. The power seems to stay off for a varying amount of time but usually after an hour or two, truck once again can turn the accessories on but if I attempt to start it, same pop and loss of power. Truck has a 4.8 in it, reg cab short bed. Air compressors run off their own battery. Any help would be beyond greatly appreciated. Plz email me if you have has this problem before and know how to fix. Thanks

Joey.p.gokie@gmail.com
Any OBD II codes for us? Miles? Fuel pressures? Does it start with a shot of gas? How long since ignition was done?

Last edited by oilcanhenry; December 5th, 2020 at 3:02 AM.
Old December 5th, 2020, 5:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Any OBD II codes for us? Miles? Fuel pressures? Does it start with a shot of gas? How long since ignition was done?
I couldn't get the truck started so I wasnt sure if the check engine light would stay on but I dont have a reader so havent been able to check for codes yet. 104k miles. Fuel pressure is fine, I changes the fuel filter because she sat for a good 9 years or so before I started driving her again recently. I've owned the truck since 48k miles and I've never had the ignition done. Good news, she randomly started today after I messed with a few things and I was able to drive back to my home. I ran a test light threw the fuse box that's in the engine bay and the fuse labeled CRANK (PCM) was the only one not showing a good connection. I pulled it and it looked good so I put it back after a few mins, I also had hooked a battery charger up to my front Optima overnight ( because why not ), and figured I'd give starting a try before I gave up for the day and she started. She definitely wasnt idling properly and felt like she was going to stall if I didnt keep one foot on the gas. I parked her and that was last night. I have no clue what to even check next. The help is beyond appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (December 7th, 2020)