Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2003 Silverado ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2018, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Silverado ABS issue

I have a 2003 Silverado 2wd with a 4.8L engine and 220,000miles on it. About three to four weeks ago, I pulled into a parking lot, turned the vehicle off, got out of the car and heard this strange electric chatter noise underneath my truck. I determined that the sound is coming from what I think is the ABS controller. (this device is where all the brake lines seem to go to). Again at this point, the vehicle is off. So, I find the correct fuse (60amp) under the hood fuse panel and pull it. Bingo, the sound went away. I restart the truck, and now I get a "Service Break System" on the display along with the ABS and Brake light. I have left the fuse pulled for the time being and have continued driving the vehicle and the brakes are working fine. (I realize that I no longer have the ABS function). I am trying to diagnose if this could just be a possible bad ABS wheel sensor issue.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks,
Tim
Old December 24th, 2018, 10:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/s...arning.234104/
You might look around this forum. I'm intermittently having issues.
Old December 24th, 2018, 3:01 PM
cj1
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since key off suspect the ABS module itself is defective.
Possible water intrusion,
A scan tool to read ABS codes would help.
Old December 25th, 2018, 8:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

typically bad abs wheel speed sensors will not run the abs pump after shut down...there is no wheel speed input when stopped. I agree with the previous posts...probably need a module or bpmv. Post the code here. To check the abs codes...you need a scan tool that can access chassis codes...a cheap code reader won't do it.
Old December 29th, 2018, 1:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those abs modules are semi-famous for going bad. I just pulled the fuse in mine after it tried to kill me. I was pulling into a parking spot at the dealer to make a payment on it, and it didn't want to let me stop...

I'm old school enough I can do without abs. lol
Old December 29th, 2018, 3:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
Those abs modules are semi-famous for going bad. I just pulled the fuse in mine after it tried to kill me. I was pulling into a parking spot at the dealer to make a payment on it, and it didn't want to let me stop...

that sounds like wheel speed sensor signal fall out...at slow speeds the abs pump activates as it thinks the lost signal ie zero wheel speed is a wheel slip event.
its an easy fix. try to remove the front 2 wss from the steering knuckles...any that won't come out have rust build up that has push the sensor away from the tone wheel...hence the signal fall out. Any that come out...clean the mounting surface and re-install.

Old December 30th, 2018, 4:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
that sounds like wheel speed sensor signal fall out...at slow speeds the abs pump activates as it thinks the lost signal ie zero wheel speed is a wheel slip event.
its an easy fix. try to remove the front 2 wss from the steering knuckles...any that won't come out have rust build up that has push the sensor away from the tone wheel...hence the signal fall out. Any that come out...clean the mounting surface and re-install.
From what I remember on mine all signs and codes point to the abs module. At least 1 of the speed sensors is "new" because I had to replace a wheel bearing and it's the whole assembly.

About the time I set my mind to addressing the truck, something else jumps up and eats time and money... I replaced the ol lady's 500 beater stratus with a 06 300c, and I love it, so it's been getting all the attention recently. Had it for a month before the ol lady pulled the nose off it, so it got new headlight assemblies, and grille insert... She's currently grounded from the 300 with the understanding she buggars up my truck, and I'll put her back in a 500 beater... lol

Goals on the truck are to get the ABS back functional, and address the front end. I didn't realize how sloppy the trucks front end was until I spent some time in the car. lol I hope to have that done in the spring.
Old December 30th, 2018, 5:46 PM
Super Moderator

300's are great cars and there are some great deals for them. I'm a fca tech so I see the odd one. I'm shopping for an srt