Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2006 silverado PO449 CODE

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2011, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0449

Great thread folks! The vent solenoid/canister fixed our P0449 problem. 300 miles, no codes and passed emissions. $25 at NAPA. Our Advance Auto guy originally sold us the purge solenoid, which we changed, and did not fix the problem. They had no clue on the vent solenoid. There was a picture on a thread here which had the AC Delco part number, and NAPA cross referenced it. Everyone was right, pretty much a 10 minute fix. Thanks again guys!
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default p0449

Had the PO449 code on my 2005 suburban. Bought $26 evap canister/solenoid from local Chevy dealer and problem fixed. About 30 minutes to take old one off and install new one. Toughest part was disconnecting the clip on the tube coming into the canister. Thanks guys!
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

sorry to resurrect an old thread but wanted to say thank you!

My '06 silverado 5.3 ext cab 5.8 ft box was giving me the tighten gas cap message and threw out codes P0449 and P0455. After researching on here, I pretty much figured out it was the solenoid. Took it to the dealer since we just bought it a month ago. Of course, we were out of the 1 month warranty by a couple days when I took it in but the dealership checked it out under the warranty anyway. They told me it was the solenoid and it was $285 to fix. Thanks to you all and some posts on other forums, I told him I would pass on getting it fixed and went to O'Reilly's. I got the BWD part (took in the AC Delco part number 214-2149 and had them cross reference it). I also picked up 2 feet of 5/8 heater hose and a couple clamps. I was all set to get this done in my driveway and have it done by the time the hubby got home from work. Crawled under my truck and found out that the solenoid on my truck is located between the fuel tank and the frame. What a pain! Ended up taking it to a local shop and explaining the situation to the owner (I take all my vehicles there if it is something I can't fix myself). He said GM has a re-route kit for this. I told him what I learned from you all and the other sites and he said he could get it in today and he would do that for me. $50 later, my truck is fixed and no light! Total cost was about $82. Kind of bummed I had to take it in to be fixed because I really wanted to do it myself but I still saved over $200 from what the dealer wanted to fix it.
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

2006silveradochick Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking to time to say that the post worked for you
Its feed back like that , that makes the forum helpful...
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
2006silveradochick Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking to time to say that the post worked for you
Its feed back like that , that makes the forum helpful...

I find the feedback helpful so I wanted to make sure I left some. We are taking the truck on a long trip this weekend. I am sure it will be fine but if I have any issues with the fix, I will be sure to post back.

The hubby drove the truck to work and back today while I worked on our Jeep (that is his daily driver and the truck is mine) and I drove the truck to work and home tonight and no CEL yet. I am sure it is fixed. That makes me extremely happy!
Old August 12th, 2013, 4:31 PM
CF Junior Member

What is really a joke is the "old style" solenoid has the same exact number imprinted on the actual part as the upgraded part does. It just doesn't come with the little filter and hose.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM
CF Active Member

HERE IS THE FIX..... I did it on my 06 crew cab. chevy redesigned it and relocated the vent. If you want to fix it the right way with the same part for a 28$ AC delco part you need to order a evap vent soleniod for a 2006 chevy tahoe or surb. its like under 30 dollars. you will see its stamped with the same numbers as the bad one. Also when you fill up your truck stop topping it off and dont fill your truck up as it runs. I posted a thread with pictures and part numbers about a year ago. when I had my 06
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:26 PM
CF Active Member

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...d-53049/page2/

one of my lasts posts on page 2
Old January 2nd, 2014, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Smile 06 Chevy Silverado - P0449 Engine Code

Had the P0449 code on my 2006 Chevy Silverado stating could be purge solenoid or vent solenoid. I replaced the purge solenoid, cost less than $35. I also replaced the emission hose.

One thing to note is the purge solenoid is not near the gas tank as some of the sites and post suggest. For the 2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab, 5.3 engine, the purge solenoid is located on the drivers side back seat passenger door.

It unsnapped, unplugged and I had to cut the emission hose to remove the purge solenoid. Once the purge solenoid was replaced drove to AutoZone to check the codes. Removed the code with success. Road tested the fix by driving back home for 500 miles. The check engine light did not and has not returned.

Truck passed emission testing and all is well. Saved myself some major cash by performing the fix myself.
Old February 25th, 2014, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Code PO449 on 2007 Saturn Outlook 3.6 same solution as on full size trucks?

Same code showing up on 2007 Saturn Outlook. Is the fix for this vehicle the same as for full size trucks?
Originally Posted by GHOST169
forum was very hepful,especially the pics another member posted,got some 5/8" hose,had two stainless hose clamps,cut the poly shrink tubing off,replaced it,and hope i am done.

Quick Reply: 2006 silverado PO449 CODE