Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

4l60E Transmission Advice

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2022, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4l60E Transmission Advice

Hello All,

I've got a 2004 Chevy Silverado 5.3Liter with 230,000 miles on it. I started having some transmission slippage from 3rd to 4th and recently had the transmission rebuilt at about 229,000. Here's what was done:

Transmission Fluid (Newly added STP Dextron 3)
Transmission Line Flush
Transmission Overhaul Kit (Oil seals, sealing rings, Gaskets, Front and Rear Seals, Valve Body Gaskets, Band, Filter, and new Shift Solenoids)
New Torque Converter

Here's my problem: My initial slippage from 3rd to 4th is gone... but now I'm getting some hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. It doesn't matter how slow I move from 1st to 2nd.... the truck just jumps a little to get into that 2nd gear.

ANY ADVICE ON WHAT IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM? I have a 1-year warranty with the shop that did the work and am considering going back, but thought I should start here.

Any advice is greatly appreceiated. Thanks!

Old March 1st, 2022, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a couple things you can do that might fix your problem. First, I would slap some dex VI (correct viscosity) in there if your comfortable with it and all and see how that does. If you don't get any better results (or there worse than before). Then the next thing I would consider doing is a partial flush. Pretty much just drain part of the fluid from the trans its self and replace it. Then over time it will be fully flushed (this protects any problems of running dry and possibly causing more slip from a full flush on the spot). If the flush doesn't help then the last resort would probably be to take it to the shop you mentioned with the warranty and/or do another rebuild or slap a junkyard trans in there. If none of that works you could also see if it has anything to do with the torque converter you mentioned. That's all I can think of that could possibly help you with the problem.
Old March 2nd, 2022, 11:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Take it back to the shop that rebuilt the transmission and let them make it right before you so anything else.