Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

4wd not engaging

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2018, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd not engaging

I have a 2006 Silverado Z-71 with push button 4wd. Sunday the service 4wd light came on. Monday while driving about 60 mph, truck tried to shift into 4 low. Transmission downshifted & had a lot of grinding, but it never locked in. With 2 hi button selected, the truck would randomly try to shift into 4 low, but never locked in. I tried to shift into 4 low by shifting to neutral & pushing the 4 low button. I could hear it trying to lock in, but it never locked & the light went back to 2 high. I tried 4 hi & the light went to 4 hi, but I don’t feel like it caught either. I put it in “auto 4wd” & it stopped trying to lock into 4 low. I ordered a new selector switch & just put it in this evening. Now, in 2 hi, it sounds like grinding but not trying to lock in. I tried to lock it into 4 low by shifting to neutral & pushing the 4 low button. It tries to lock in, but never locks in. The light goes back to 2 hi. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Last edited by LucasRowell; March 7th, 2018 at 9:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old March 8th, 2018, 11:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like something internal on the transfer case.

I can't remember for sure but I think 06's still fall under the transfer cases that developed pump rub and would eat a hole in the side of the transfer case and the fluid would eventually find it's way out, then things would break.

Good luck!