Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

99 Silverado Anti-lock Brakes

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2017, 9:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado Anti-lock Brakes

I have a 99 Silverado with 5.3 L engine. When I start the truck the ABS light comes on along with all the other lights on the dash. I understand that it goes through a system check, so to speak, when first started.
My question is: The light comes on then goes out which I believe is normal. We had some ice here in Princeton, MN overnight and when I step on the brakes pretty hard the tires just lock up and slide without doing any ABS. How can I tell if I really have ABS or if the light is just on the dash for the heck of it? I don't get any codes that say it's not working. I had an 02 Dodge minivan with ABS and when they engaged you could hear it and feel it in the brake pedal. On my pickup there's nothing but lock up when stopping to hard.
Thanks for any help or info on this. I mean the truck runs great and I can stop but I'm just curious.

Dale
Old December 6th, 2017, 9:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How fast are you going when you lock it up?

In the old days ABS was really only good at the higher speeds.

When I bought my truck it was with a bad abs module, I ran it for a few months until it tried to kill me not letting me stop while parking once and I pulled the fuse.

One of these days I'll be motivated enough to change out the module and re-bleed all the brakes... I think I'm due for a new booster too, it doesn't seem to be holding vacuum.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the info hicksvilleshick. I gave it a try this morning coming back from breakfast and at lower speeds all it did was lock up(5-10 mph). So I got going almost 30 mph and nailed the brakes and they did ABS and I stopped straight without sliding. So, I guess they do work. Thanks again!

I'm wondering if you booster leak could be something as simple as a leaking/cracked air line hose.

Last edited by 99 Silverado 3 door; December 7th, 2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old September 26th, 2019, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

From your reply, it sounds like If I were to pull my ABS fuse, then I would just have normal power brakes, i.e. without the ABS feature. Am I thinking correctly?
Thanks