Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

99 Silverado Coolant Issues....

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado Coolant Issues....

Having some issues with my truck. I have 2 vehicles and my truck gets driven the least. After it sits for say a week, after driving it for a bit i get the “low coolant” light on the dash. I fill it back up while driving it but it keeps happening. Also after driving i notice it has a sweet coolant smell. I checked all around it and the engine bay but no where can i see where anything was spraying or leaking. Im kind of scratching my head because it runs great. No issues with overheating or anything.

Any suggestions? I checked waterpump area as well and no leaks.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Is there coolant smell in the exhaust? Any contamination in the oil?

What about heater core ... is there dampness on the floor anywhere inside?

They sell fluorescent dye to help track down leaks.
Amazon Amazon
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Is there coolant smell in the exhaust? Any contamination in the oil?

What about heater core ... is there dampness on the floor anywhere inside?

They sell fluorescent dye to help track down leaks.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-12.../dp/B000QIJH2I
not that i can sense or tell.

The heat works but ac is warm when on. I have a rubber liner in it and no spots. Im leaning towards the reservoir being bad because of the low coolant message? And since it is not overheating the radiator is full. Like i said im kinda lost.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Turn your heater on hi, if the smell is strong inside the cab you probably have a heater core leak
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Turn your heater on hi, if the smell is strong inside the cab you probably have a heater core leak
i do notice it has a real low smell inside over the passenger side when it has not been turned on for awhile and is randomly blasted wide open if that makes sense at all.... hmmm
Old February 4th, 2019, 5:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I assume you are just refilling the overflow container and not needing to add coolant to the radiator. I'd thoroughly check the container for a crack. It's rare, but it could happen. Also check the hose line from the overflow to the radiator. Over time these can dry up and crack.

As to the heater core - if you're not getting any coolant on the floor, any leaking coolant may be draining through a line that goes through the firewall into the engine compartment. Look for a small line exiting the firewall into the engine bay - it may have a rubber elbow pointing down. If it has been leaking there should be some wetness there. Just a thought.
Old February 4th, 2019, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Doug D
I assume you are just refilling the overflow container and not needing to add coolant to the radiator. I'd thoroughly check the container for a crack. It's rare, but it could happen. Also check the hose line from the overflow to the radiator. Over time these can dry up and crack.

As to the heater core - if you're not getting any coolant on the floor, any leaking coolant may be draining through a line that goes through the firewall into the engine compartment. Look for a small line exiting the firewall into the engine bay - it may have a rubber elbow pointing down. If it has been leaking there should be some wetness there. Just a thought.
exactly. I have been having to add coolant to the reservoir after it sits for a week or so depending. It seems like if its hot outside its a slower leak, if its colder its faster. Ill check out the reservoir then. I will probably replace the reservoir and the lines running to and from it for safe measures.