Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

99 won’t stay running

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2018, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 won’t stay running

Hey everyone. I’m trying to help out my father in law with his truck, hopefully someone has ideas!

99 1500 with 4.3 (I think). Truck sat over winter for about 6 months. When we went to use it after sitting, it would not start or even attempt to start. As of right now the truck will start if you pour fuel in the throttle body, but dies immediately after you stop pouring. Prior to sitting this truck ran just fine. My father in law is a pretty skilled shade tree mechanic, in the ten years I’ve known him I’ve never heard of a mechanical problem he couldn’t fix himself. At this point he is wondering if it has something to do with the vehicles computer, which he doesn’t know much about. He said perhaps a security feature is preventing the vehicle from running, but to his knowledge the truck doesn’t have any kind of security system.

Fuel has been flushed and filled with fresh.
Spider injectors were replaced, but prior to replacing he tested them and all were providing fuel and appeared to be functioning properly.
fuel pump and filter has been replaced
throttle body cleaned
new air filter
new cap+rotor
new crank sensor
new thermostat
truck seems to be getting spark ok. Firing order double checked and is proper.

he also tested every sensor (or he thinks every sensor) by swapping them out with sensors in his other truck that works just fine.

any ideas out there? Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited by Ashton1012; June 30th, 2018 at 4:22 PM.
Old June 30th, 2018, 5:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you have a service engine light? I am not sure about the vat system, but is there a security light? Also with key on, make sure the fuel pump is working, check the pressure. If it runs with putting fuel in the TB it isn't ignition, but could be vat not allowing the fuel pump to run.
Old June 30th, 2018, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Do you have a service engine light? I am not sure about the vat system, but is there a security light? Also with key on, make sure the fuel pump is working, check the pressure. If it runs with putting fuel in the TB it isn't ignition, but could be vat not allowing the fuel pump to run.
what do you mean by vat?
He mentioned that he was unable to read for codes because he can’t do it without the vehicle running. I don’t think there is a check engine light on but I’ll double check. Fuel pump is audible when key is turned on and fuel pressure is normal, does not fluctuate when trying to run the vehicle.
Old June 30th, 2018, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
there is a red light on dash area that he is unsure of, that is why he was thinking a security issue was preventing it from running.

EDIT: no security light is on, I was wrong

Last edited by Ashton1012; June 30th, 2018 at 5:39 PM. Reason: False info