Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Any Ideas? I have a broken steering link, can I replace it in my driveway?

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2016, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Ideas? I have a broken steering link, can I replace it in my driveway?

Hey guys,

This weekend I was doing an inspection on my front suspension and steering column and noticed the steering linkage is busted on the passenger side. Problem is I don't exactly know what this part is called, it's not the tie rod exactly this is the rod that runs all the way from one wheel to the other and connects below the upper control arm and above the lower control arm. Amazingly the truck still turns and drives fairly well as you can see from the image it looks like the point where it broke off formed a sharp point that has been jabbing directly into the rest of the bar making it look like something took a bite out of the metal. I've inspected the tire tread as well and it at least looks ok with no signs of cupping like you would see with a busted control arm.

Do you guys know what this exact part is called or the part number - this is for a chevy silverado 2500 yr 2000 6L V8.

Any idea how hard it is to replace this? I'm kind of at that point with this truck that I'm wondering if all the money and expense to keep it running is worth it - the whole thing is rusted out as h3ll on the underside but the engine is still running strong ... well mostly it is doing a P0300 and P0327 but it still drives ok ... for something with 265,000 miles on it.

Thanks,

Boltz
Attached Thumbnails Any Ideas? I have a broken steering link, can I replace it in my driveway?-controlarm_06122016.jpg  

Last edited by Boltz; June 13th, 2016 at 8:30 PM.
Old June 13th, 2016, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sway bar. price it out at rockauto.com
it can be done in the driveway
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swaybar. Fairly simple. Driveway fix doable.