Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Best radiator swap?

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2023, 10:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Just as an FYI, if your engine has an engine oil cooler in addition to the automatic transmission oil cooler, ther
e will be 4 lines (2 on each ens) going to the radiator in addition to the normal radiator hoses. If there is no engine oil cooler, there will only be 2 extra lines (2 on one end) going to the radiator in addition to the normal radiator hoses.

Here is an example of with an engine oil cooler
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=2172&jsn=495

And here is an example of without an engine oil cooler
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...431118&pt=2172

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
mommafrica (August 27th, 2023)
Old August 27th, 2023, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chem_man
Just as an FYI, if your engine has an engine oil cooler in addition to the automatic transmission oil cooler, ther
e will be 4 lines (2 on each ens) going to the radiator in addition to the normal radiator hoses. If there is no engine oil cooler, there will only be 2 extra lines (2 on one end) going to the radiator in addition to the normal radiator hoses.

Good Luck!
Before seeing this, I had just finished talking to the mechanic (via The Mrs - newly married and I'm in her neck of the woods) who drives big rigs and works on all trucks, said to get one with the TOC; but w/out the EOC b/c it is a Silverado 1500.
I got the SPECTRA PREMIUMCU2423, per your recommendation. I also went to their website to ensure the fit. I'm getting this thermostat MOTORAD5456187 UltraSta to go with it. I will be changing the hoses as well. Adding this antifreezeVALVOLINE846439HD Nitrite Free Extended Life Yellow.
Old August 27th, 2023, 8:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Good Luck!
mommafrica (August 28th, 2023)
Old September 6th, 2023, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

Good Luck!
Hello mentor. How are you?
OK, I see what your talking about with the other hoses. I always knew about the upper and lower when it came to cars. This is new territory.
My truck is transmission cooler only. Radiator: CU2423. I already have the upper and lower from ebay. I'm stuck on the other two.
I have these: For Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L Radiator Surge Tank Heater Hose W/ Rear Heater 15792822 and ACDelco 26390X GM 88920361 47.8in Radiator Hose Fits Avalanche Yukon Sierra NOS
Currently on OEM Parts Quick trying to figure it out. And it was said to me that I only need "1 gal" of antifreeze. Is this correct? I've switched and am now going for:VALVOLINEZXEL1 Dex-Cool Orange; 1 Gallon; Orange; OAT. I have PRESTONE AF2100 Extended Life; All Makes / All Models, but it doesn't have Dex-Cool Orange, though I know that it's designed for all colors.
. I have the PRESTONE AF2100Extended Life; All Makes / All Model, but am switching because it's not
Old September 6th, 2023, 4:24 AM
CF Senior Member

First off stay away from purchasing parts on ebay because most branded auto parts are counterfeit. Same caution for Amazon.

If you want to save money (which I am all for), get your parts from roackauto.com. They use the same warehouse distributors that local brick and mortar auto parts stores use, and rockauto.com is an authorized parts dealer for virtually everything they sell, and the warehouse distributors they use are also manufacturer authorized.

Now for the hoses you are inquiring about. I primarily use Gates branded hoses and serpentine belts. Gates is an OEM for most of the vehicle manufacturers so the ACDelco, Motorcraft, or Moper hoses are likely made by The Gates Corporation. So, go to https://www.gates.com/us/en.html and in the upper right hand corner you will see a red box with the words "Vehicle Parts Search" so click on that box, In the next window that appears select the vehicle class (Passenger Cars and Light Trucks) and then enter year, make, model, engine size and presto changeo all the products for your truck that Gates manufactures appears. Now scroll down to the Cooling System area and you will see all the hoses you need for your truck and their part numbers, and there should be a little camera like icon to the far right of the various listing that will give you the hose diagram for your engine.

Write down the part numbers for the parts you need and then go over to rockauto.com and you can either drill through the various listings to find the part numbers or click on the tab that says Part Number Search and enter the part number and then select the manufacturer's name and the part will appear along with the cost. Add the hoses to your shopping cart cart (you will need to then click on the continue shopping after each entry to go back) and the enter the next part number.

Now, after you have entered all the parts you are going to order, there is a box under the Shipping and Handling Options that is titled "How Did You Hear About Us?", I want you to enter this number - 242928855208996728. By entering that number, rockauto will automatically deduct 5% from your order. By the way, the number I gave you is valid through October 6, 2023.

Now, regarding the antifreeze, I always use DexCool labeled antifreeze rather than the "all makes, all models" antifreeze. Valvoline DexCool antifreeze is good stuff. I have used it many times.

According to the chart in my Haynes Manual for 1999 - 2006 Silverados & Sierras, the cooling system for the 4.8L V8 engine is slightly less than 17 quarts. Hence you will need just over 2 gallons (8 quarts) of DexCool. When you mix it to 50/50 (or 60/40 DexCool/Water as I do) always use distilled water. Walmart sells distilled water for around $1/gallon, so you'll need at least 2 gallons of distilled water. Using distilled water does a couple of things - one, it does not deplete the DexCool's additive package, and it it will thus make the DexCool solution protect the engine from corroding internally a little better.

Good Luck and holler if you have any additional questions!
mommafrica (September 6th, 2023)
Old September 6th, 2023, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

First off stay away from purchasing parts on ebay because most branded auto parts are counterfeit. Same caution for Amazon.

If you want to save money (which I am all for), get your parts from roackauto.com. They use the same warehouse distributors that local brick and mortar auto parts stores use, and rockauto.com is an authorized parts dealer for virtually everything they sell, and the warehouse distributors they use are also manufacturer authorized.

Now for the hoses you are inquiring about. I primarily use Gates branded hoses and serpentine belts. Gates is an OEM for most of the vehicle manufacturers so the ACDelco, Motorcraft, or Moper hoses are likely made by The Gates Corporation. So, go to https://www.gates.com/us/en.html and in the upper right hand corner you will see a red box with the words "Vehicle Parts Search" so click on that box, In the next window that appears select the vehicle class (Passenger Cars and Light Trucks) and then enter year, make, model, engine size and presto changeo all the products for your truck that Gates manufactures appears. Now scroll down to the Cooling System area and you will see all the hoses you need for your truck and their part numbers, and there should be a little camera like icon to the far right of the various listing that will give you the hose diagram for your engine.

Write down the part numbers for the parts you need and then go over to rockauto.com and you can either drill through the various listings to find the part numbers or click on the tab that says Part Number Search and enter the part number and then select the manufacturer's name and the part will appear along with the cost. Add the hoses to your shopping cart cart (you will need to then click on the continue shopping after each entry to go back) and the enter the next part number.

Now, after you have entered all the parts you are going to order, there is a box under the Shipping and Handling Options that is titled "How Did You Hear About Us?", I want you to enter this number - 242928855208996728. By entering that number, rockauto will automatically deduct 5% from your order. By the way, the number I gave you is valid through October 6, 2023.

Now, regarding the antifreeze, I always use DexCool labeled antifreeze rather than the "all makes, all models" antifreeze. Valvoline DexCool antifreeze is good stuff. I have used it many times.

According to the chart in my Haynes Manual for 1999 - 2006 Silverados & Sierras, the cooling system for the 4.8L V8 engine is slightly less than 17 quarts. Hence you will need just over 2 gallons (8 quarts) of DexCool. When you mix it to 50/50 (or 60/40 DexCool/Water as I do) always use distilled water. Walmart sells distilled water for around $1/gallon, so you'll need at least 2 gallons of distilled water. Using distilled water does a couple of things - one, it does not deplete the DexCool's additive package, and it it will thus make the DexCool solution protect the engine from corroding internally a little better.

Good Luck and holler if you have any additional questions!
As usual, A Blessing!
This is the 3rd time that I've heard about ebay. Even from the Mrs (only because of the pricing). Another buddy felt that they were counterfeit as well. Now fully taking heed to this.
Heading over to Gates now.
TYVM as usual!
Old September 7th, 2023, 7:32 PM
CF Senior Member

You are quite welcome!
mommafrica (September 7th, 2023)