Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Intermittent problem won't start

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2023, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent problem won't start

Truck is a 2006 silverado 1500 LS, single cab, short bed, 2wd with the V6 engine, automatic transmission with 200k miles. Truck runs and drives great until you run it at highway speeds for over an hour. Then it will shudder and act like it doesn't want to accelerate for a minute. It will go ahead and pick up and run but when you turn it off it won't start for 1-3 hours. Have had a code reader on it, no codes showing. Just put a new fuel pump in it. Has pressure on the fuel rail, can hear the pump running so don't think it is a fuel issue. This is my son's truck. It did this to him the other day and after fooling with it for an hour he disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes and it started back up. Reminds me of the old days and a cracked coil that would get hot and the crack would open up and it not run until it all cooled off. Any ideas?
Old September 9th, 2023, 9:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

First, I would measure the fuel pressure to make sure it is in the range of 60 - 66 psi.

Second, considering that it only has one ignition coil, you might want to test it. You can go to https://mcdowellpubliclibrary.org/chilton-auto-repair/ and they should have a diagram showing how to test the ignition coil using a Digital Multi-Meter (DMM).

Also, check the fuel filter in case it has never been changed.

Good Luck!
Old September 9th, 2023, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check the fuel pressure and the ignition coil. Myself and a mechanic have both traced the line from the fuel pump to the back of the motor and cannot find an inline fuel filter. Anything I can find says it is mounted on the frame on the driver's side. There is no filter that I can find, anyone know if it doesn't have one or where they hid it?
Old September 9th, 2023, 12:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly and is not changeable. Sorry about that. Various online catalogs are in error by showing a serviceable fuel filter.

Sorry about that.