Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Dash Light Problem Solved

Old September 6th, 2018, 11:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Light Problem Solved

Hi All,
I had been having problems with my dash lights for a few years now getting worse as time went on. The shift indicator and odometer wouldn't light up. The seatbelt indicator would go out when I put the seatbelt on but would come back on either steady or blinking. My fuel gauge wouldn't work until I hit a few bumps then would work until I shut the truck off and it would start all over again until a few bumps where hit. I went to Ray's Auto Body shop here in Princeton, MN and asked whether or not it would just be a loose light for the shift/odometer. Don told me that with the age of my truck it's probably a cracked circuit board or solder connection. He could take the instrument cluster out and have it rebuilt for around $100.00 so I said OK.

I got it back the next day with everything working great. I got almost all the way home and remembered that I forgot my garage door remote in the loaner car. When I got back Don was pulling a car into the shop. I threw up my hands like I was really irritated. He asked what the problem was. I said, "Now I'm really pi$$ed!" His eyes got wide and asked what the problem was. When I told him he laughed and said, "Get the Da#m thing and get out of here." I do have a weird sense of humor.

Anyway, since I had this done the truck seems to run better with what seems like a bit more power. Am I just dreaming or could this be possible? Could there have been something broken in the dash that made the truck run not so good? Curious.
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing he did would improve performance.

Basically he just re-soldered some connections.
Old September 7th, 2018, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
Nothing he did would improve performance.

Basically he just re-soldered some connections.
Yeah, but when everything is working correctly it always seems like it runs better! Enjoy!!
Old September 7th, 2018, 11:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I pretty much thought it was my imagination but just wanted to check. It is nice to have everything working the way it should tho.

Search this Thread