Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Door insulation and power steering moan/pulsating....

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2018, 4:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door insulation and power steering moan/pulsating....

Just bought an '01 and while doing a deep cleaning, I noticed the doors have almost no insulation and the plastic sheeting is all about peeled off. I did clean the doors and use flashing tape, the black vinyl type not the aluminum, to re-stick it but noticed the panels have basically no insulation like the floor and back wall. What can I use to insulate them and not spend a small fortune like dynamat would cost?
I also noticed the power steering pump has a low whine to it and the wheel pulsates when turning. It has gotten better as I drive it more but is still there. I have no history on the truck and never talked to or met the previous owner as it was bought at a salvage auction. Fluid as far as I can tell looks good and is at the full level. I also can "feel" the road when driving which is strange. When I come to a stop, the feeling is gone.
Here is a short video of what it sounds like. Its enough to vibrate the truck sometimes.

Last edited by Cruiseomatic; March 17th, 2018 at 9:06 AM.
Old March 17th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the vehicle never used insulation in the door when new, pretty much no vehicle does(maybe small sections for NVH purposes). the plastic liner is a moisture barrier.

hard to determine anything from the video. Turning the wheel with the vehicle stopped puts a lot of stress on the ps system and steering linkage. If you feel the pump is whinney or groaning...usually it from air in the system or worn out pump. The pump will make noise when it gets to the steering stops; the pressure relief valve will open to dump pressure.
Old March 17th, 2018, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it never really had insulation but I would like to add some to help with temperature retention.
It does the moan and groan/pulse when driving through a turn also. Just was parked for the video, Lol. Other than that, Its VERY tight and responsive still with no effort hardly required to turn even when stopped. No matter how fast I try to turn the wheel. Just a whine and shudder. I'm betting the pump is worn but hoping not. Most people automatically start changing fluids that look normal and swapping parts for nothing. Since it still works fine just loud, I'm wondering if I should start looking to replace it before a critical failure when I need it or, Just drive the thing until it locks up causing the belt to burn up on the pulley like my last pump did.