Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Factory radio wiring botched!

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2019, 2:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Factory radio wiring botched!

Hello all, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado LS... while attempting to install an aftermarket head unit, i made a rookie mistake and now have exhausted all of the conventional means of finding an answer to fix it. I have installed probably close to 100 head units in the past, I know the golden rule is to never mess with the factory harness unless absolutely necessary. While I have cut into plenty of factory harnesses in the past, this is the first time that I wasnt able to accomplish the goal intended when i begun. The real rookie mistake in my opinion here though was that I did not take pictures of the wiring (pinout) before removing all of the wires from the harness. DERRR So while expecting the hazing, I am still here asking for help, let me explain a little of why i did this... I went and bought the harness for connecting an aftermarket stereo. I soldered all the connections to the aftermarket stereo side. It plugged right in so at first i thought awesome, easy as usual... turned the ignition and nothing... quick inspection of the stock harness to the aftermarket harness, and I quickly see that a lot of the wires are populating different pin numbers on each harness. So I did a quick search of which wire was what on the stock harness, figured i would just pull the pins from the harness and move them to the correct locations. Well this turned out to be impossible because the wiring going into the stereo as "I understand it NOW are not conventional front rear left right positive and negative signals. Factioryy amplifier and all that so bottom line is i am just trying to get back to where i was when i started. I have looked through so many schematics, wiring diagrams, pictures, Metra manuals, everything I can think of and I can not find anything that matches the wire colors that I have. I have found that there is about a hundred different possibilities of wiring for this same year and model of truck. I dont get it. I do understand that there is a Bose system and a standard system, but even when i search for the year model and bose option, i still can not find any wiring schematics that match the colors that I have. Has anyone with a bose system not been able to find a correct wiring diagram? More importantly, does anyone know where I can find the correct diagram? Worst case scenario, if it can not be found, would someone be willing to take a picture of their stock wiring harness from a 2003 LS w/ Bose? On my stock wiring, I have 2 orange wires, one is 12v constant, the other i am not sure but this seems to be a defining factor in the other wiring schematics i can find is that none of them have 2 orange wires. Also there is one solid black and one black w/ white. Only one dark blue wire, no light blue. Thank you for any help I can get!
Old March 27th, 2019, 7:40 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

See if you can find an 03 Silverado at a junk yard and either get a picture of the plug or buy the plug with a length of wire still attached to it.
Old March 27th, 2019, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

yes that would be ideal i guess but there is no junk yards near by really, not within 20 miles and anything that shows up there is picked clean within a couple days normally. I dont understand why it is so hard to find the proper wiring diagram... even with the 3 character codes in the glove box? (forget what they are called..)
Old March 27th, 2019, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
See if you can find an 03 Silverado at a junk yard and either get a picture of the plug or buy the plug with a length of wire still attached to it.
Is there any way that this would be enough to get the positions for each wire? i believe that there is A1-12 and B1-12 on the plug... because i think this is the right schematic... i just dont know how to read it well enough to decipher it.

Old February 26th, 2024, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Talking I know this is an old thread but......

Originally Posted by S1CAR1US
Hello all, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado LS... while attempting to install an aftermarket head unit, i made a rookie mistake and now have exhausted all of the conventional means of finding an answer to fix it. I have installed probably close to 100 head units in the past, I know the golden rule is to never mess with the factory harness unless absolutely necessary. While I have cut into plenty of factory harnesses in the past, this is the first time that I wasnt able to accomplish the goal intended when i begun. The real rookie mistake in my opinion here though was that I did not take pictures of the wiring (pinout) before removing all of the wires from the harness. DERRR So while expecting the hazing, I am still here asking for help, let me explain a little of why i did this... I went and bought the harness for connecting an aftermarket stereo. I soldered all the connections to the aftermarket stereo side. It plugged right in so at first i thought awesome, easy as usual... turned the ignition and nothing... quick inspection of the stock harness to the aftermarket harness, and I quickly see that a lot of the wires are populating different pin numbers on each harness. So I did a quick search of which wire was what on the stock harness, figured i would just pull the pins from the harness and move them to the correct locations. Well this turned out to be impossible because the wiring going into the stereo as "I understand it NOW are not conventional front rear left right positive and negative signals. Factioryy amplifier and all that so bottom line is i am just trying to get back to where i was when i started. I have looked through so many schematics, wiring diagrams, pictures, Metra manuals, everything I can think of and I can not find anything that matches the wire colors that I have. I have found that there is about a hundred different possibilities of wiring for this same year and model of truck. I dont get it. I do understand that there is a Bose system and a standard system, but even when i search for the year model and bose option, i still can not find any wiring schematics that match the colors that I have. Has anyone with a bose system not been able to find a correct wiring diagram? More importantly, does anyone know where I can find the correct diagram? Worst case scenario, if it can not be found, would someone be willing to take a picture of their stock wiring harness from a 2003 LS w/ Bose? On my stock wiring, I have 2 orange wires, one is 12v constant, the other i am not sure but this seems to be a defining factor in the other wiring schematics i can find is that none of them have 2 orange wires. Also there is one solid black and one black w/ white. Only one dark blue wire, no light blue. Thank you for any help I can get!

Wondering if/how you ever found a solution. I'm in the same situation with wire colors exactly as you described. I've found dozens of diagrams but none that match mine. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 26th, 2024, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

@Victhechic

S1CAR1US hasn't logged on in 5 years so they won't answer you. Rather than resurrecting old posts I suggest starting a new thread , and at minimum including you vehicle info. Thanks.