Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Front brake problems

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2019, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake problems

I have a 2004 Silverado 4 wheel drive I put new brakes calipers and rotors on the front and rear and now I can't get the front brakes to bleed any help would be appreciated
Old May 5th, 2019, 8:59 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the abs is screwing with them. bleed them the best you can then go into the grass thats wet (like morning dew) and get your speed up and slam on the brakes so you activate the ABS. do this a few times. this will untrap the air in the ABS box, you might have to bleed the brakes again. or you got to take it to the dealer
Old May 9th, 2019, 5:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't trust the advice above advice. sue GM if you can't bleed your brakes due to "ABS". YES THERE IS a law (legal, court) that says "cars must be repairable by small shops without unusual techniques". AND IF YOU DID THAT ON MY LAWN I'D RIP YOU A NEW ONE !! i've never heard of activating ABS after bleeding brakes and re-bleeding them. i've bled brakes for money on foreign and domestic cars with and without ABS.

please describe your bleeding issue better?

Is your tool pulling over 15psi (you have a dial showing it's working still, i hope)?

Is fluid (with or without bubbles) coming from the nipple? (tell me you didn't switch the nipple and caliper in the wrong holes! i did that once! check your diagram)

How do you know the back are bled but the front are not?

Also - tell me you have the brake cap right and your master cylinder front piston is working ok. (i assume your brake cap is good if you already had success with rear brakes)

If you answer some questions people can better answer you.

Last edited by silverado 1500 2001; May 9th, 2019 at 6:20 PM.
Old May 9th, 2019, 7:00 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

lol this guy is funny, maybe he should use google if he has no idea about something that could be possible. i had to replace the brake lines on my 02. and in some cases you cant bleed the brakes due to air being trapped in the abs module. you have three options, one is to activate the ABS module yourself on a slick surface, buy a scan tool with the capabilities of activating the ABS or go to a small shop or dealer who can activate the ABS. most shops have the code scanner to activate the ABS module (i said dealer as they would have the tool). like a tech2 or something to that effect.

the only thing i can agree on is do it on your yard not someone elses
heres someone else with the same advice
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...k-98-gmc-jimmy
and someone else
bleeding brake lines on gm with ABS | Deaf Community
and someone else
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...ake-lines.html

im sure i could go on and on but yeah anyway

Last edited by Irish_alley; May 9th, 2019 at 9:10 PM.