Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Having trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2018, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Having trouble starting

My truck is an 03 silverado 1500. If the truck is off for anything longer then 5 mins it has a lot of trouble starting. It cranks fine, so im not thinking anything electrical like a battery. It will just crank for a wile, ill stop cranking it and then try to start it again and it starts right up. Thinking of replacing the fuel filter and spark plugs because theyre cheap and easy to do in an hour. What else could this be? Any ideas are appreciated, Thanks for the help.
Old February 28th, 2018, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

I have had this problem many times and am revisiting it now. Things to check are fuel pressure on the fuel rail under the hood. Should be in the 50's. Check for spark. I use an inline spark gauge on a plug. Have someone start it and see if it sparks. I've had a couple of no fuel pressure problems. Bad pump, bad pressure regulator, and a bad fuel injector. Now I have both spark and fuel and am suspecting a back crankshaft sensor. I have heard that a bad Mass Air flow sensor will cause starting problems. A registered trouble code is a life saver. Just scan it. I don't have a trouble code registering myself. Good luck
Old February 28th, 2018, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cornbread9
I have had this problem many times and am revisiting it now. Things to check are fuel pressure on the fuel rail under the hood. Should be in the 50's. Check for spark. I use an inline spark gauge on a plug. Have someone start it and see if it sparks. I've had a couple of no fuel pressure problems. Bad pump, bad pressure regulator, and a bad fuel injector. Now I have both spark and fuel and am suspecting a back crankshaft sensor. I have heard that a bad Mass Air flow sensor will cause starting problems. A registered trouble code is a life saver. Just scan it. I don't have a trouble code registering myself. Good luck
Thanks for the reply, i changed plugs because i had no idea how old they were, helped a little but still having the issue. Tried replacing fuel filter and its currently the original from factory (187k miles) so im assuming thats the issue. Having a mechanic deal with it, i cant be asked to fight with it anymore. Hopeful that fixes it, computer is throwing no codes so not sure where to turn next
Old March 1st, 2018, 7:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Sounds like a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. It is letting the fuel drain back into the tank. You can replace the fuel pump assembly or add a check valve in the fuel line.
Old March 1st, 2018, 8:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

any codes set? if no codes....i was thinking fuel presssure leakdown from the injectors or fuel pressure regulator. I believe the 03 still used a fpr on the fuel rail. if the fuel pressure leaks into the manifold or cylinders...it creates a flood condition after a short soak...after a long soak...the fuel evaporates so it starts normally.

start the engine and let it run to operating temp, shut it off, let it set for the 5+minutes...pull the vacuum hose off the fpr and see if any fuel is present...if yes, replace the fpr...the diapham is ruptured.
Old May 13th, 2018, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

After taking it to the mechanic, what did you find out? I just recently bought my 2003 Silverado and am dealing with the same situation. Gave it a full tune up and didn't change anything.