Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

K3500: Heat issues

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2016, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K3500: Heat issues

Hello all! I just found this forum and though I searched the previous posts, I did not find this question posted anywhere, so here goes. My apologies if I posted it in the wrong area...

I recently had the heater core replaced in my 2000 Chevy K3500 dually. It has an access panel in the bottom of the dash that allows easy access to the heater core. (Had I known this, I would have replaced it myself, but I thought it was a dash-pull, so I took it somewhere else.) Anyway, when it returned, the heater core was obviously working properly, but still no heat. That's when I discovered that the blend door actuator wasn't working. Now it was working before the heater core replacement. (I have reason to question the competence of the shop I took it to.) Upon locating the blend door actuator, I discovered that it sits on the housing for the heater core, which they cracked in the process of replacing the heater core.

So, I need to know if it's possible to damage the blend door actuator during a heater core replacement. (The shop has already admitted fault on several other issues, including charging me for a dash-pull job that actually wasn't and are stumbling over themselves to make it right. I want to be sure they do.)

Thanks for any help in advance!

Old January 5th, 2016, 9:24 PM
CF Veteran

Haven't heard of anything having a heater core access panel that was built later the early 90s, I'm very curious how yours does? Even the procedure says to remove the housing which requires removing the dash which means yes theres a possibility something was damaged during the replacement
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

which body style do you have 2000 old body style or 2000 new body style?

I've never had to do one for a chevy pickup ever so I don't know about the door. I do know the estimator guide has a 5 hour time for no access door and 1.1 hour time for with a door.

I have done some older fords and the hvac box is glued together so its hard to get it apart.
Old January 6th, 2016, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, it's the old 2000 body style. Looks like a 1999. It certainly has the access door, which the mechanic broke trying to remove it. (He didn't take all the screws out before forcing it open.) I'm just wondering if this rough treatment might have damaged the blend door actuator that sits directly on top of it.
Old January 6th, 2016, 10:04 AM
CF Active Member

I don;t think you are going to damage the blend door.
Old January 6th, 2016, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

The blend door, or the blend door actuator? It's the actuator that is damaged.