Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Making an odd noise taking a left turn at a speed of more than 20 km/h (15 mph)

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2019, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making an odd noise taking a left turn at a speed of more than 20 km/h (15 mph)

Hello all, I'm excited to join this forum hopefully it's more helpful than Facebook, I have developed a noise in my passenger wheel area ish it sometimes is really loud, I have attached a video of what it sounds like, I have taken it to a mechanic shop to get checked for couldn't find anything, everything is in good shape brake pads are new brackets everything is in good shape everything is tight. It goes away when I apply the brakes and my guess its something in the braking when it goes away when braking. My question is what could make this noise taking a corner and sometimes when going straight I hear it. It's a 2003 Silverado LT 5.3 Disc brakes all around. I have attached the youtube link, I've tried adding it as a attachment but it says not accepted but the video Is below. Thank you all!

Old October 29th, 2019, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dealt with what MIGHT be a similar problem. My problem sounded like a brake caliper hanging-up...rhythmic "hiss" or slight grind. Brake pads were replace and one of the calipers was replaced. My problem turned out to be a bad bearing (right front). The bearings are sealed and the bearing and hub are replaced as a unit. It be came obvious to me that the bearings were bad when I jacked the front end up and was able to wiggle the tire (the tire and hub wiggled together). Replacement parts were $125 per side (if you're gonna do one, do the other too). Difficulty factor was about a 4 out of 10 (really easy). So, jack the front end and try wiggling the tire. If you have play, you'll probably need to replace the bearing/hub assembly. This might not be your problem, but it's a placed to look.