Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

New motor install

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2023, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor install

I have a 2005 silverado 4.3 vortec & I had to have a new motor so my mechanic thought it best to get the same motor (crate motor) that has a 4yr warranty, so that’s what we are doing & have been doing for a month now. I know I’m “just a female” but I am not nor have I ever been a girly girl. I know it should take less than a week to put one in after you take the motor out…like I said it’s been a month..so yesterday I got a call saying that they tried to start my truck but they have to have my chipped key, that I have never had. It’s never needed one before but this guy says that’s what his high dollar scanner said. He turns the key & it does nothing..he put a brand new battery on it & still nothing. swears the security system has him locked out. Anybody ever experienced this problem? I showed his dad the instructions on how to bypass that issue plus took him the original keys to my truck but I haven’t heard back from him. Can somebody plz clarify whether or not this is a legit issue? I’m about ready to go get my truck & figure it out myself!
Old April 23rd, 2023, 3:49 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchgurl
I have a 2005 silverado 4.3 vortec & I had to have a new motor so my mechanic thought it best to get the same motor (crate motor) that has a 4yr warranty, so that’s what we are doing & have been doing for a month now. I know I’m “just a female” but I am not nor have I ever been a girly girl. I know it should take less than a week to put one in after you take the motor out…like I said it’s been a month..so yesterday I got a call saying that they tried to start my truck but they have to have my chipped key, that I have never had. It’s never needed one before but this guy says that’s what his high dollar scanner said. He turns the key & it does nothing..he put a brand new battery on it & still nothing. swears the security system has him locked out. Anybody ever experienced this problem? I showed his dad the instructions on how to bypass that issue plus took him the original keys to my truck but I haven’t heard back from him. Can somebody plz clarify whether or not this is a legit issue? I’m about ready to go get my truck & figure it out myself!
No, and we dont care about your gender here on CF. Sounds like he doesn't really know what he doiing to me.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 7:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 346 Likes on 327 Posts

A month is way too long for this job. Where did you find this guy? A job like that can be done in a day. He is having problems with the electrical end of this swap. He is going to want you to pay him before he will let you take the truck somewhere else. The courts will take a long time. Best bet is to bring an expert to his place and hope that he lets him work on the truck. You can argue with him about how much to pay him once the truck is running.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 11:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
A month is way too long for this job. Where did you find this guy? A job like that can be done in a day. He is having problems with the electrical end of this swap. He is going to want you to pay him before he will let you take the truck somewhere else. The courts will take a long time. Best bet is to bring an expert to his place and hope that he lets him work on the truck. You can argue with him about how much to pay him once the truck is running.
Could call the Bureau of Automotive Repair as well if they have one in her state.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s funny bc my mom went by to check to see what’s going on with my truck now as I still haven’t heard whether or not the key was the problem..she went bc I tend to get a bit mouthy when I get jerked around. The guy that owns the shop, is the mechanics dad, and he told her that they just started “jiggling wires” & it turned over. About that time the mechanic walked up & said that “no it was the key.” And they would pull it back into the shop & start it, set the timing, drive it a bit & then I could pick it up..that was Thursday & today is Sunday & they have yet to get it back in the shop. How would y’all deal with the situation now? My truck has been at that shop for 2 months now for them to say it needed a new motor, order the motor, put it in my truck & see if it runs. I can understand things happen but this is ridiculous. He has been working on other vehicles instead of finishing mine. He is expecting to be paid $1000+ for labor, which I do understand it’s just how long it’s taking. They originally said it would take less than a week. I would love to hear some feedback
Old April 23rd, 2023, 2:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

It took me a weekend to swap a motor into my Nissan and I am not a mechanic. Better get something in writing as to warranty as I'll bet it won't be right when you get it back
Old April 24th, 2023, 7:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 346 Likes on 327 Posts

Call Judge Judy!!
The following 3 users liked this post by oldchevy:
chem_man (April 25th, 2023), oilcanhenry (April 24th, 2023), Rednucleus (April 24th, 2023)