Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

new pickup purchase help

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2017, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new pickup purchase help

I am looking to get a new pickup.
I want a chevy or GMC 2500 crew cab 4x4 short-bed.
I prefer to have the heated mirrors and heated re-window. I also prefer the rear heat/ac.
My big question is which motor do I want? I don't pull or haul that much .
Only reason I ask because I have seen a few good deal on the dura=max pickups.
I also seen some with the 8.1 v8 too. I know nothing about this motor. Its a large V8 so I am guessing a gas burner.
I think they way to go is the 6.0 gas but I have herd they can be pretty hard on gas too.
Any suggestion on years to get or avoid?
Any suggestion on thing to look out for?
thanks for the help
Old May 21st, 2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

getting a used high mileage diesel is a big repair bill waiting to happen. the only reason for a diesel is for fuel mileage during max towing. If your not towing forget about a diesel. Any fuel mileage savings will eventually be off-set by maintenance. Price out 8 injectors, injection pump, turbo or a head gasket.

the 8.1 is a gas guzzler. the only reason to get it is for the allison transmission. if your not towing, don't get it.

my 2006 6.0L with 4.11 rear end could pull anything, had great power and got decent fuel mileage. my 5.7 hemi, 4.8 gmc 1500 and 6.0L all were pretty close in mileage. the 2500 6.0 is reliable and none had the oil consumption issues of the 2009+ 5.3 motors.

epa.gov for fuel mileage comparisons