Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Oil Pump & Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2018, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump & Low Oil Pressure

I have a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0 Vortec. I purchased this truck knowing it needed a little work. It had basically zero oil pressure (according to the dash gauge), and the valves had that loud ticking sound when you cranked it. But it ran, and the guy I bought it from delivered it via tow truck.

So I dove into it and replaced:
Oil Pump (Melling)
Pick up tub seal
Timing Cover Gasket
Front Main Seal
Oil Pan Gasket
Water Pump & Gaskets
Oil Filter
Both Belts

I watched the Melling video that showed how to prime the oil pump and the great news is it cranked right up. BUT oil pressure was low, around 10lbs according to the dash gauge, and there was still a valve tick. Although disappointed, I figured the next logical step was to put a pressure gauge on it where the oil pressure switch is and see what it reads. Well that was a giant pain in the butt, but got it on. However when I went to crank it up, it would only turn over. It would not start. Not even a sputter. I figured it was because I left the oil pressure switch disconnected, so I hooked it up but that didn't work. So I uninstalled the oil pressure gauge and put the oil pressure switch back in and reconnected the cable. Still wouldn't run so I unhooked the battery for a day and a half, thinking there may be a relay needing reset, but that didn't do it either. So now I'm wondering if I knocked something lose back behind the oil pressure switch, but I have NO IDEA what that could be. I'm not getting any error codes on my reader.

HELP!!