Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2024, 6:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

In line with what Rednucleus said with respect to water pump rotation, are you sure that the serpentine belt is routed correctly?
Old July 22nd, 2024, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chem_man
In line with what Rednucleus said with respect to water pump rotation, are you sure that the serpentine belt is routed correctly?
Good afternoon Chem_man, I hope all is well. Yes the serpentine belt is routed correctly. It it's not routed correctly, it's due to the diagram of how to route it being wrong. LOL
Old July 22nd, 2024, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jfmorris
I was talking about an engine oil cooler, which is a separate thing from a transmission fluid/oil cooler. The transmission fluid cooler is typical integrated into the radiator. An oil cooler for the engine oil is usually mounted in front of the radiator and AC condenser. Some year models also have a power steering pump cooler in front of the AC condenser as well.

All that said, I think it is new information (at least to me) that it gets hot sitting at idle. That would seem to exclude towing as a factor, and point to something more basic. I just don't know what.

I am over at Rockauto.com, with your 2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L pulled up, and under Engine, I see they sell GM genuine oil cooler lines for the ENGINE section of the parts list:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...oler+line,5516

They also sell GM genuine TRANSMISSION cooler lines, in both upper and lower versions, in the TRANSMISSION section of the pats list, and they look much different than the engine oil cooler lines:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ler+line,10343

To me, that implies that there SHOULD be a separate engine oil cooler, with lines running from the engine to it. This would be distinct from the transmission cooler. If you don't have this, it can be added, and it would cool the engine oil. If you do have it, maybe it's not working right. Or the oil is not circulating properly and getting cooled as much as it should.

NOW, if you have 6 lines going to the radiator - i.e. the upper/lower radiator hoses, AND two metal lines from the transmission, AND two metal lines from the engine block, then its integral with your radiator, and you have it. On my 1996 C1500 and 2006 Silverado 1500, I only have the two lines from the transmission to the radiator.

Other than that, I am out of ideas.
Good afternoon Jfmorris, I hope all is well. Thank you for the additional info that you gave me regarding the oil cooler, I'll be sure to check this out this afternoon. Once I do, I'll get back on here and update the group.
Old July 22nd, 2024, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Good afternoon group, hey I think I read on a thread that some people resolved this issue by removing the fan clutch and replacing with electric fans. Is there anyone who can share what set up should I go with if I go this route? Would I need to do any additional modifications if I switch to electric fans?
Old July 22nd, 2024, 12:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Maydog
Good afternoon group, hey I think I read on a thread that some people resolved this issue by removing the fan clutch and replacing with electric fans. Is there anyone who can share what set up should I go with if I go this route? Would I need to do any additional modifications if I switch to electric fans?
I don't think you remove the mechanical fan or fan clutch at all. There is a provision on the GMT800 for an auxiliary electric fan that mounts in front of the radiator. I was under the hood of my 2006 Silverado this weekend, and there is a ton of space in front of the A/C condenser and radiator, behind the grill. 8-10 inches at least. I think heavy duty towing packages for these trucks may have included the aux cooling fan, along with a circuit to power it based on a sensor on the engine block, and it comes on and off based on engine temperature.

I don't remember as I type this what year your vehicle is, but for my 2006 Silverado 4.8, I see a number of electrical Radiator Fan assemblies that have twin fans, and there is a 4Seasons fan controller that could be used to control such a fan assembly. Look under your vehicle, and "Cooling System" and you will see the things I am talking about. These work in conjunction with the mechanical fan, which spins all the time, and help provide extra cooling capacity, especially at low driving speeds or at idle.
Old August 20th, 2024, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

I don't think you remove the mechanical fan or fan clutch at all. There is a provision on the GMT800 for an auxiliary electric fan that mounts in front of the radiator. I was under the hood of my 2006 Silverado this weekend, and there is a ton of space in front of the A/C condenser and radiator, behind the grill. 8-10 inches at least. I think heavy duty towing packages for these trucks may have included the aux cooling fan, along with a circuit to power it based on a sensor on the engine block, and it comes on and off based on engine temperature.

I don't remember as I type this what year your vehicle is, but for my 2006 Silverado 4.8, I see a number of electrical Radiator Fan assemblies that have twin fans, and there is a 4Seasons fan controller that could be used to control such a fan assembly. Look under your vehicle, and "Cooling System" and you will see the things I am talking about. These work in conjunction with the mechanical fan, which spins all the time, and help provide extra cooling capacity, especially at low driving speeds or at idle.
Good morning and thank you Jfmorris. I have sense your reply, added a push aux fan in the front of my a/c condenser and things have been good ever sense then. So When I purchased the truck i noticed a small exhaust leak here and there in the exhaust system. So I decided to get prices on doing a cat back system. Upon calling to make inquires about the cat back, I discovered that the 04 2500HD 6.0 gas engine came with true duals that run back to one muffler and one out pipe.
Well the previous owner must have had some modifications done. The exhaust tie in to a Y on the passenger side and it's one pipe that go back to the muffler. I said all of that to ask this question, if it's suppose to have true duals, and the previous own had a Y pipe tied in and one pipe going back to the muffler, could this be something that causes the engine to run at a higher temp than it's suppose too?
The following users liked this post:
jfmorris (August 20th, 2024)
Old August 20th, 2024, 8:39 AM
CF Active Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm glad to hear that your temperatures are running cooler since adding an aux electric fan in front of the condenser.

I can't comment on the particulars of your truck, but while I have seen GM trucks with dual exhausts, it's not that common. All V8 engines have dual exhaust manifolds, but on most, the exhaust pipes tie together on the passenger side and go into a single catalytic converter and single muffler, and out one pipe in the rear. I know both my trucks (4.8 and 5.0) and my SUV (5.3) did. My son-in-law has a 2008 Denali with the 6.2 V8, and EVERY option on the vehicle that was available at the time, aux coolers for everything, heavy duty suspension, max trailering package for the time, and so on. It has a single exhaust, and the engine runs cool.

Unless you have an RPO code inside your glovebox that decodes as a dual exhaust setup, I kinda have doubts the vehicle came from the factory setup that way, as a true dual exhaust setup will require TWO catalytic converters and TWO mufflers to pass inspections in all states. That's a lot of cost, and a lot of wasted space under the vehicle on the drivers side, where you normally would have the gas tank.

Now, here's a thought (or two)....

Is there any evidence under there that any of the exhaust pipes are newer than other sections? I.e. is the pipe going back newer than the pipes going up to the exhaust manifolds? If it did have dual exhaust at one point, one thing I can think of that would drive someone to go to a single exhaust would be the rampant catalytic converter theft going on all across the country. Folks slide under cars in parking lots, cut them out in a couple minutes, and disappear, leaving you with a car that needs repairs and not running worth a crap. If you have to pay of a new cat, I would rather pay for one than for two... and would convert to a single exhaust if I did that.

Either way, these vehicles should run fine either way, without overheating.
Old August 21st, 2024, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

I'm glad to hear that your temperatures are running cooler since adding an aux electric fan in front of the condenser.

I can't comment on the particulars of your truck, but while I have seen GM trucks with dual exhausts, it's not that common. All V8 engines have dual exhaust manifolds, but on most, the exhaust pipes tie together on the passenger side and go into a single catalytic converter and single muffler, and out one pipe in the rear. I know both my trucks (4.8 and 5.0) and my SUV (5.3) did. My son-in-law has a 2008 Denali with the 6.2 V8, and EVERY option on the vehicle that was available at the time, aux coolers for everything, heavy duty suspension, max trailering package for the time, and so on. It has a single exhaust, and the engine runs cool.

Unless you have an RPO code inside your glovebox that decodes as a dual exhaust setup, I kinda have doubts the vehicle came from the factory setup that way, as a true dual exhaust setup will require TWO catalytic converters and TWO mufflers to pass inspections in all states. That's a lot of cost, and a lot of wasted space under the vehicle on the drivers side, where you normally would have the gas tank.

Is there any evidence under there that any of the exhaust pipes are newer than other sections? I.e. is the pipe going back newer than the pipes going up to the exhaust manifolds? If it did have dual exhaust at one point, one thing I can think of that would drive someone to go to a single exhaust would be the rampant catalytic converter theft going on all across the country. Folks slide under cars in parking lots, cut them out in a couple minutes, and disappear, leaving you with a car that needs repairs and not running worth a crap. If you have to pay of a new cat, I would rather pay for one than for two... and would convert to a single exhaust if I did that.

Good afternoon Jfmorris. Yes that is exactly what I see, the portion of the exhaust that goes to the back is new than that which goes up to the exhaust manifold.
Old August 21st, 2024, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Maydog
Good afternoon Jfmorris. Yes that is exactly what I see, the portion of the exhaust that goes to the back is new than that which goes up to the exhaust manifold.
The thing that puzzled me so much about my truck is the fact that the temperature would run up with the a/c on. Or if I just let it idle a long time.
Old August 21st, 2024, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

The thing that puzzled me so much about my truck is the fact that the temperature would run up with the a/c on. Or if I just let it idle a long time.

Quick Reply: Overheating Issues