Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Parking brake light flashing while engaged & the transmission is in Park

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2021, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake light flashing while engaged & the transmission is in Park

When I put on my parking brake the brake light flashes. This only happens when the parking brake is on, not when I am driving. The ABS light is not on, just the parking brake light flashing when it is engaged. Why is it flashing? It was flashing all the time and chiming, but when I adjusted the brake petal to hit the pressure switch behind the petal it only flashes when engaged now it shouldn’t do this. I have to pass a brake and light inspection in California and I’m afraid it will fail if it flashing when engaged.
Old January 17th, 2022, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem on a 2002 Tahoe. Please post if you come upon a fix. I will do the same. I am also in California and never had a brake and light inspection. Just curious, but where are you and why do you have to have this inspection?
Old January 24th, 2022, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

If it's flashing when your in drive then it's supposed to do that
Old January 25th, 2022, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

The brake light is on when it's supposed to be and off when it's supposed to be. The difference here is, when its on, its flashing. The brake light flashes even before the engine starts. After turning the key to on, before starting, the brake light is solid for a couple seconds and then starts flashing. Starting the engine and in park, the brake light continues to flash. Shifting into drive and removing the parking brake, the light turns off. In fact, removing the parking brake at any point turns the light off, as expected.