Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Passkey VATS lockout AND dead instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2019, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Passkey VATS lockout AND dead instrument cluster

Issue 1- Cluster
Last couple years my dash board instrument cluster intermittently has been completely going out-- no lights, no gauges. if I hit a pothole just right it all comes back on. about a month ago it went out for good. Wiring all looks fine. Tore into it to look at the circuit board, no visible arcing or damaged solder, so I sort of hesitate to send it in for an expensive rebuild. Nobody local works on circuit boards, I live in the middle of nowhere.

Issue 2- VATS
About a week ago started having issues starting the truck. turn the key and starter will go, but only enough to make her cough, not start. if i turn the key again nothing happens at all. if i wait a few minutes i can get the cough again. Internet says it's my Passkey security system. So i cut and connected the black and yellow wires that go into the sensor at the ignition. Since I have no security light (dead instrument cluster) that can blink to tell me when to turn the key which direction for the security reset, I turn it to start, wait 10.5 minutes with it in the run position, then turn it off for 5 seconds and try again. I've done that at least 10 times now. one of the times I actually got the car to start, but it was definitely a fluke. What's also odd is that half the time when I leave the key in the run position, I can hear a continuous repeating "whrrr-clack" from the throttle body as it opens and closes. when it's not doing that, If I tap on the associated relay it makes the noise. I've tried letting it continuously do it's thing, I've tried pulling the relay. Still can't seem to reset the VATS.

Any insights? I will probably wind up sending in my cluster to be rebuilt, but it would be nice to be able to move my truck before it gets shipped back to me. Is there anybody who thinks maybe it's not the Passkey system? The starter is pretty new, as is the neutral safety sensor.
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:26 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

you could try to swap clusters with someone or get one from the junk yard just to see if your cluster or something else
cant help you on the VATS since like you mentioned the dash is out