Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Passlock nightmare

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2021, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passlock nightmare

99 Silverado 5.3l 1500 is displaying the passlock security issues. Starts, runs for a second or two then stall out. Security is displayed in the message center 24/7 truck on or off. With key in on position it does the usual flash between it and battery. Also key fob has stopped responding (also tried with new battery), no dome lights/tail lights or gauge backlighting. No present dtc’s. Also have checked all fuses(good).

Truck has had zero past issues and was running fine when it was last driven about a week ago.

have tried the passlock key 10x3 relearn, left the key in the on position after it stalled out for over and hour and tried to no avail, unhooked battery and let sit for a couple hours. No matter how long I leave it the security light will no go off which probably renders the 10x3 relearn useless.

would love some insight into this as it’s got me puzzled
Old January 8th, 2021, 8:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Cujo98
99 Silverado 5.3l 1500 is displaying the passlock security issues. Starts, runs for a second or two then stall out. Security is displayed in the message center 24/7 truck on or off. With key in on position it does the usual flash between it and battery. Also key fob has stopped responding (also tried with new battery), no dome lights/tail lights or gauge backlighting. No present dtc’s. Also have checked all fuses(good).

Truck has had zero past issues and was running fine when it was last driven about a week ago.

have tried the passlock key 10x3 relearn, left the key in the on position after it stalled out for over and hour and tried to no avail, unhooked battery and let sit for a couple hours. No matter how long I leave it the security light will no go off which probably renders the 10x3 relearn useless.

would love some insight into this as it’s got me puzzled
Might be the fob issue, have you tried unlock with the fob, or did you lock it manually, and then manual (key) unlock it?
Old January 8th, 2021, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

When I parked it I locked with fob. Came out today to drive it and fob did not respond. Put a new battery in still no response and will not respond to the second fob either. I unlocked it with key today

Last edited by Cujo98; January 8th, 2021 at 8:20 PM.
Old January 9th, 2021, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Well I still haven’t managed to get the security light to turn off. It’s on 24/7 key on or off. Is there any way of testing the bcm because I can’t find anything online.
Old January 9th, 2021, 5:29 PM
CF Monarch

Well I still haven’t managed to get the security light to turn off. It’s on 24/7 key on or off. Is there any way of testing the bcm because I can’t find anything online.
Will it start? If so, my only suggestion other than pulling the battery cable is, leave the key in ignition, on, not star, then after 30-40 minutes start it withouth turning the key switch off first.
Old January 9th, 2021, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

I left it in the run position for an hour and a half yesterday to try and get the security light to go out and it never did. Tried firing it up and it runs for a second than dies. Can’t do the key relearn because I can’t get the light to turn off. So I’m kind of at a loss

Old January 9th, 2021, 6:43 PM
CF Monarch

I left it in the run position for an hour and a half yesterday to try and get the security light to go out and it never did. Tried firing it up and it runs for a second than dies. Can’t do the key relearn because I can’t get the light to turn off. So I’m kind of at a loss
Started with the fob, only insight I can add is try lock, unlock with the fob a several times over the period of half hour. Does it lock unlock now with the fob?
Old January 9th, 2021, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

The truck does not respond to either fob at the
moment because it is locked in anti theft mode. Tried to enter the fob reprogram via hold unlock button flip ign twice but truck will not enter that mode again because of the solid security light.

I need to find a way to get the security light to go out so I can get components to work

My fob is door lock/unlock only to clear that up. No starting ability from fob if that’s what you were thinking. This is a passlock 2 from my research. No chip in the keys.
Old January 9th, 2021, 7:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

have the body codes read. theft codes will be set and this is the diagnostic starting point. body codes need a full function scan tool...code readers don't cut it.
Old January 12th, 2021, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Problem solved

Found corroded wires on the plug harness that connects to the underside of the fuse block in the engine bay. Changed the wiring harness (burnt/corroded) plug and fixed the broken ends and now the truck is back to normal operation.
The following users liked this post:
Benderizme (November 3rd, 2021)