Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rats or mice and now....

Search this Thread

Old Today, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rats or mice and now....

All of a sudden my power windows don't work, the auto door lock on the driver side doesn't work, the dash lights don't work, but all else seems fine.

I'm not sure where to begin looking, but I do know there were some vermin inside because they/it were chewing on the owners manual leaving pieces of paper all over the floorboard.

So, where do I start? Do I need to begin pulling the dash apart? Any videos for that?

Thanks!
Old Today, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 276 Likes on 239 Posts

Remove the glove box - they tend to nest on top of the HVAC housing, and there’s a junction/fuse box on that side of the cab.

You shouldn’t have to remove too much to access the wiring if it needs repair. The fuse block can be removed and the harnesses/connectors are only held in place with tape, zip ties or push pin hangers, so they can be somewhat pulled away from the dash.
Old Today, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
Remove the glove box - they tend to nest on top of the HVAC housing, and there’s a junction/fuse box on that side of the cab.

You shouldn’t have to remove too much to access the wiring if it needs repair. The fuse block can be removed and the harnesses/connectors are only held in place with tape, zip ties or push pin hangers, so they can be somewhat pulled away from the dash.

Thanks. It cools off, I'll have at.
Old Today, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I now have doors locks and power windows, waiting for dark to see if the dash lights will work again.

What I found was: The munchkins apparently pull the harness loose in a few places, since it's no longer connected to the plastic clips, and some of the tape is dangling in the air, but moving the harness around some behind the glove box, and pushing in on the connectors behind the dash side panel, have things working.

I was certain they might have chewed through some wires, but so far, so good.

Worst case, I can pull the dash apart and trave the wiring to look for any damage. Great videos on Y'tube.... Sometimes the internet is a good thing.