Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rear Brake Lockup

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2018, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Lockup

Just bought this truck (2000 Chevy Silverado 2500) for work and it's been serving a great purpose. The problem I have with it is the brake pedal isn't stiff at all and the rear brakes are grabbing and occasionally locking without much force. I'm not entirely sure what to do, I took it to a local mechanic and he said it could be as simple as a bleed or the previous owner put the shoes on backwards. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Nhoganavila; January 28th, 2018 at 9:58 AM. Reason: Forgot Specific vehicle
Old January 28th, 2018, 11:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Take the wheels of an take a look at the pads and rotors.
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

I've taken the rear tires and drums off and found that the brake shoes will expand to stop the truck but will not willingly retract. I've noticed what for now I'll call a "solinoid" in the middle of the shoes that causes them to expand has a leak on on side and is squirting brake fluid when the brakes are applied
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

I'm starting to think both the wheel cylinders are bad. Because the brakes don't engage or retract together and sometimes it gets stuck engaged
Old January 29th, 2018, 2:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You definitely need to rebuild both wheel cylinders. Also check all the hardware especially the springs to make every thing is good. Check the shoes to make sure they are not saturated with brake fluid. If they are then you need to replace them.
Old January 29th, 2018, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You definitely need to rebuild both wheel cylinders. Also check all the hardware especially the springs to make every thing is good. Check the shoes to make sure they are not saturated with brake fluid. If they are then you need to replace them.
I'll try that and hopefully it'll fix the problem
Old June 24th, 2018, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

I had a problem with my 2003 Silverado rear brakes locking up too. Turned out is was bad flexible brake hoses in the rear. Got them changed out and viola! Now works great.