Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rear Differntial Question

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2018, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rear Differntial Question

Hi i am new to the forum here but i need some help on this guys. So basically i have a 2004 Chevy silverado 1500 4.8L with the 4l60e trans and the 3.42 rear differential. my truck is a base model single cab two wheel drive that people like to call the one wheel peel. My rear differential has always confused me and i cannot figure it out myself. Like many people say a quick way to tell what type of diff you have is to jack it up and spin the wheels. Keep in mind my truck used to always be one wheel drive for the first year. now three years later it has been acting like it is a limited slip. When i have the rear wheels raised off the ground and i spin the tires the opposite side goes in the other direction as a lot of people say is an open diff. nowadays if i am stuck or in mud most of the time both tires will lock up and spin at the same speed as the other. If im one tire is on ice that tire will spin and the other will not. Well today i changed the fluid and found that it looks like a simple open differential. i just cant figure out why it acts like a limited slip on ice and a locker in mud or grass. if i do a burnout only onee tire spins. i cant seem to figure this out at all. My truck doesnt have any rpo codes that say g80 whatsoever and it is a 2wd base model pickup. there is no diff tag and none of the numbers on the diff itself lead me to any particular diff online to tell me what it is. anyone have any ideas ?

Last edited by Jmazz42; March 18th, 2018 at 6:52 PM. Reason: Add information tires wont spin freely in park only in neutral.
Old March 20th, 2018, 11:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With enough power sent, open diffs will spin both.

Mine does on gravel, and mine does not have the g80. Mine has the z-71 rpo, but not that g80. I wonder if it was ordered specifically that way cause I was under the impression that z-71's came with the g80's.