Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Shock recommendations

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2020, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock recommendations

Hey all I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on shocks. I have a 2005 Silverado Z71 with around 75000 miles on it. I bought the truck from a friend about two years ago who had it since it was new and hardly ever drove it. Right before I bought it he added 1.5 to 2.5 lift keys to the torsion bars but no lift blocks in the rear. I have noticed the ride has become a lot more rough as far as driving on the roads. I feel every little bump and imperfection in the road way not just that it is there but it feels like I'm riding in a tank a lot of the times going down the road. I have also noticed when braking it has a rocking to it after it stops. My questions is how long do the factory shocks usually last and if from what I'm thinking it needs new shocks what are some of the recommedations and experiences yall have had with new shocks.

Thanks for yalls input
Old July 3rd, 2020, 11:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 345 Likes on 326 Posts

Welcome to the forum. In my experience I have found Monroe shocks to be a great buy for the money. To me they work just as good as the expensive shocks. Just like with any part, factory shocks could last many years or go bad quickly. You said it rocks after you stop, so it probably does need shocks.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 6:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

The general rule is to replace them at about 50,000 miles but it depends greatly on driving habits and the road maintenance/type of roads you drive. Hard braking/steering and Poorly maintained or gravel/dirt roads and field driving/off-roading will wear them out much quicker than smoother roads and easy driving.

At my shop we replace all struts/shocks with Monroe and we’ve never had complaints.

Check them for leaks by inspecting the tubes. If leaking they will appear “wet” - not to be confused with “damp” which is normal seeping - and should definitely be replaced.

You might also consider air shocks if you do a lot of hauling or use an in-bed camper.