Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Short dipstick???? Deeper pan????

Old January 9th, 2019, 1:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short dipstick???? Deeper pan????

'99 K1500 Burb. Recently replaced the 5.7 Vortec with another 5.7 Vortec. Used dipstick and tube from the old engine. With the correct amount of oil and the dipstick fully inserted, no oil is registered. I mean CLEAN. Even at an oil change facility, they freaked out because they swore they put in the right amount, no oil registered on the dipstick. CLEAN, just like whenI put oil in it after the install. They drained and measured.....it was the correct amount. Could the "new" engine (it was a reman) have a slightly deeper oil pan?

Last edited by Flyguy3; January 9th, 2019 at 1:43 AM. Reason: left out some words
Old January 9th, 2019, 9:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyguy3
'99 K1500 Burb. Recently replaced the 5.7 Vortec with another 5.7 Vortec. Used dipstick and tube from the old engine. With the correct amount of oil and the dipstick fully inserted, no oil is registered. I mean CLEAN. Even at an oil change facility, they freaked out because they swore they put in the right amount, no oil registered on the dipstick. CLEAN, just like whenI put oil in it after the install. They drained and measured.....it was the correct amount. Could the "new" engine (it was a reman) have a slightly deeper oil pan?
Might have to get a new dipstick. When I owned a Jeep CJ-5 the dipstick was NOT waterproof, so I installed one out of a Chevy Nova 250 inline 6, which was sealed, since I was going through DEEP water! .That CHEVY dipstick saved my old 258 motor.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; January 9th, 2019 at 9:05 PM.
Old January 10th, 2019, 12:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyguy3
I got off topic, but yeah the motor might have a longer oil dipstick tube or a deeper oil pan. You could use a tube cutter to cut it down so that your old dipstick will register the proper amount oil oil for the newer 5.7 Vortec. It would simply be a matter of knowing that your oil was installed was the proper amount then cutting the tube down until it registers at the "full" mark on your old dipstick.. A tool like this one would work in tight spaces, as is often seen when working on motors installed in the vehicle:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Imperial...1050/301045444
Old January 10th, 2019, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I got off topic, but yeah the motor might have a longer oil dipstick tube or a deeper oil pan. You could use a tube cutter to cut it down so that your old dipstick will register the proper amount oil oil for the newer 5.7 Vortec. It would simply be a matter of knowing that your oil was installed was the proper amount then cutting the tube down until it registers at the "full" mark on your old dipstick.. A tool like this one would work in tight spaces, as is often seen when working on motors installed in the vehicle:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Imperial...1050/301045444
Oilcan........thanks. Never considered shortening the tube.

Search this Thread