Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Thinking about modifying my first truck, know next to nothing please help.

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2018, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about modifying my first truck, know next to nothing please help.

Whats up guys, it looks like im going to be buying my first truck next week, ive decided to go with a silverado 1500 RWD. It has the extended cab and short bed. Some of the first things I wanted to do was to throw a lift on and get some new tires. I was thinking a 3in suspension lift with 18in rims and 33's. Is there an easy way to look at maybe 20 in rims on 33's? I like the look of a 35 inch tire better but I dont think this will work with a 3 inch lift and being a college student Im trying to save as much on gas as possible. Also if i lift it and threw on the stock rims with winter tires how bad would that look?

Sorry for the probably stupid questions but im honestly not sure how all this would look so im looking for people who have experience and can throw in their 2 cents. Open to any ideas so throw anything at me. Thanks for the help!
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion is there isn't any reason to lift a 2wd truck.

Lifting the truck and putting bigger tires on it is going to worsen the already not great fuel mileage of these trucks.

What year of truck and what motor?

I'm currently getting horrible gas mileage between the winter blend and remote start I'm doing good to get over 10mpg with a 6 mile a day run, this is of course with 4wd stock size tires.

My 90 with the 350 would've been worse.