Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Tie Rod end problems Silverado 2004 Reg Cab

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2021, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Rod end problems Silverado 2004 Reg Cab

Hey you guys ,My tie rod end’s are bad and I tried to replace them but the stock ends are too small so I changed it to a 2500 HD and the ends fit but the length was short about a inch …… Any ideas on would could possibly fit it’s a rack and pinion steering.
Old July 6th, 2021, 7:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 345 Likes on 326 Posts

Take the old rod ends with you to the parts store and have them match them.
Old July 7th, 2021, 7:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

A 2500HD Will have a gearbox and linkage - much different set up than a rack and pinion.

2004 would’ve been a year when quadrasteer was available as an option, so make sure the tie rods you’re getting are for the front rack, not the rear. Even if your truck doesn’t have quadrasteer the parts guy may not know the difference.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 4:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

too small? if they are the right part i doubt that. and don't get a tie rod from china - your life depends on suspension components - definitely tie rod included ?! get your dealer to give you the right tie rod USING YOUR VIN NUMBER. absolutely don't go to any parts shop other than the chevy dealer.

too small? are you thinking the nut tightens untl it seats? it doen't it is "counter-posed" (two nuts). you have like inches of thread on the rod?

or maybe your installing them wrong - like did you turn the steering wheel, is the power steering box set up correctly? (ie, did you read and follow a good manual before starting the job?)

don't forget to use thread-lock
Old July 23rd, 2021, 12:04 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry I forgot to emphasize / spell this out.

You have power steering not rack (1:1) or step motor (1:1). It's operates by "applying pressure" - boosting it - like air pressure added - like a spring pressure. I means that when you remove the old tie rod the mechanism might/will retract and make installing the new one appear not to fit, due to latent pressure. (this assumes you have the OEM part and have 0 doubt it's a chinese misfit. you should have the old rod to compare length to, for one thing.)

If you follow the instructions for installing the tie rod (on american power steering, even asian car power steering) you have RETRACT the push/pull of the power steering to get the thing to fit for installation. You can find the procedure in books or youtube videos.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 7:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2001 chevy silverado
absolutely don't go to any parts shop other than the chevy dealer.

don't forget to use thread-lock
There are plenty of aftermarket manufacturers that have improved upon OEM designs; and some of them are even OEM suppliers. The idea that anything other than OEM parts is somehow throwing money away or condemning the part to fail is just a marketing campaign.

ANY automotive part sold in the US MUST meet the same standards as OEM, otherwise they can’t be legally sold.

Besides, after a certain period of time, OEM is no longer an option because they discontinue manufacturing the parts.

And using thread lock on the outer tie rods is not a good idea. It will make any future attempts at alignment or repairs more difficult.

You have power steering not rack (1:1) or step motor (1:1). It's operates by "applying pressure" - boosting it - like air pressure added - like a spring pressure. I means that when you remove the old tie rod the mechanism might/will retract and make installing the new one appear not to fit, due to latent pressure. (this assumes you have the OEM part and have 0 doubt it's a chinese misfit. you should have the old rod to compare length to, for one thing.)

If you follow the instructions for installing the tie rod (on american power steering, even asian car power steering) you have RETRACT the push/pull of the power steering to get the thing to fit for installation. You can find the procedure in books or youtube videos.
I can’t make sense of what you’re trying to explain here. I’ve serviced the steering on several dozen GM vehicles ranging from mid 1980’s to current models and I’ve never once seen a steering rack or gear box move on its own once a tie rod is disconnected.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 8:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post a link to the a video or explain again?
Old July 29th, 2021, 3:29 PM
CF Active Member

> ANY automotive part sold in the US MUST meet the same standards as OEM, otherwise they can’t be legally sold.

Your lying. Name the law that says that. Plenty of failed parts to google that failed because they were not OEM fitting.

> It will make any future attempts at alignment or repairs more difficult.

Also a lie. It's designed not to cause the nut to be non-removable: plain for everyone to see on the label.

Not if Snap-On wrenches are used - which is the only kind to use.
Old July 29th, 2021, 7:19 PM
CF Veteran

> ANY automotive part sold in the US MUST meet the same standards as OEM, otherwise they can’t be legally sold.

Your lying. Name the law that says that. Plenty of failed parts to google that failed because they were not OEM fitting.

Also a lie. It's designed not to cause the nut to be non-removable: plain for everyone to see on the label.

It’s called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - nhtsa.gov - they govern all the requirements for safety regarding OEM and aftermarket parts. Any manufacturer wishing to install/sell/distribute parts has to meet the same safety standards.

Look it up yourself if you don’t believe it - I’m not spending time I don’t have trying to convince you of things you’re not intelligent enough to understand, including why threadlock isn’t necessary on outer tie rods or why Snap-On tools are hardly the only tool to use.
Old July 29th, 2021, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

bud.....you're hilarious but not in a good way.