Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Tips on Preventative Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2018, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on Preventative Maintenance

I have a automatic 2001 Chevy 2500HD, with a 6.0. I have had it for a few years now and just hit 208k. My mechanic, although admitting it is an old vehicle with a bunch of miles, seems to think it's in fairly good shape. I've done what work I'm capable of on my own, but I'm wondering what else I should be wary of. I mess around on weekends doing mainly cosmetic work, but I know that kind of stuff doesn't really matter, it's more for my own enjoyment.

I've done the fuel filter, spark plugs, brakes and rotors, regular oil changes. I hit a horse sized deer last year and have had the front end worked on and fixed. I burn a lot of oil, and it's not leaking where I'm parking which is of some concern, maybe a quart every two tanks of gas. It drives nicely, shifts smoothly and is a joy to own. Gets about 12.5 mpg in the mountains where I live which seems fine for such a heavy vehicle.

​​​​All apologies if I'm missing or breaking some forum rules here, and thanks.
Old September 9th, 2018, 5:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have same truck,but 02,love it,240k,I did go up to 10w30,uses a little less,what about some techron fuel injection cleaner
Old September 9th, 2018, 5:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Edias Gohan
I have a automatic 2001 Chevy 2500HD, with a 6.0. I have had it for a few years now and just hit 208k. My mechanic, although admitting it is an old vehicle with a bunch of miles, seems to think it's in fairly good shape. I've done what work I'm capable of on my own, but I'm wondering what else I should be wary of. I mess around on weekends doing mainly cosmetic work, but I know that kind of stuff doesn't really matter, it's more for my own enjoyment.

I've done the fuel filter, spark plugs, brakes and rotors, regular oil changes. I hit a horse sized deer last year and have had the front end worked on and fixed. I burn a lot of oil, and it's not leaking where I'm parking which is of some concern, maybe a quart every two tanks of gas. It drives nicely, shifts smoothly and is a joy to own. Gets about 12.5 mpg in the mountains where I live which seems fine for such a heavy vehicle.

All apologies if I'm missing or breaking some forum rules here, and thanks.
Sounds to me like you are taking good care of your Chevy. At 208000k burning some oil is normal. You could put new valve seals in, but not really worth the time and $$$ and its likely the rings allowing the oil to pass. As for "old" my K-1500 is a 1998, so its even older. Still runs like a champ. I missed a deer once myself. My late uncle hit one in his old jeep-style 1960's Landcruiser. Tore the daylights out of that thing but he loved that old rig and fixed it, and only sold it when he was too old to hunt anymore..

12.5 MPG is good mileage for an older 2500 with a 6.0L BTW.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 9th, 2018 at 5:46 PM.