Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2022, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem

Hey I was driving down the hwy and suddenly lost 4th/overdrive. I have 1st, 2nd, 3rd or part of it, and reverse. My rear end went out a few weeks ago and I replaced it and think it may have messed with my transmission. I'm just wondering if this could be the clutches or maybe something more simple like the shift solenoids. I'm still learning so i don't know a lot, especially about transmissions. I just need my truck goin again. I hate when she's down. I have been hearing a whining for a little while like the power steering pump but that's new. The sound seems to be coming from my transmission or somewhere underneath my truck. Also, there has been a very slight, very low, grinding sound and my truck has felt like it's being held back. I'm having issues with one of my calipers so I assumed that's what it was. After reading online, I'm thinking maybe it was my transmission. I can start and drive my truck now and she shifts out smoothly but acts like she's in neutral right after shifting into 3rd. I hope I've added enough info to help, cuz I gotta figure this out it's driving me crazy. I've parked my truck to keep from damaging anything further. Thanks y'all.
Old October 8th, 2022, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello; Not able to imagine how a replaced rear end can mess with the transmission directly except for one thing. If the truck is a four wheel drive and you some how put a new rear end with a different axle ratio. The front and rear axles must have the same gearing. Both 3:73 or both 4:11 or whatever.

Also need to post more specs of the truck. A newer truck likely has a electronicly controlled transmission and may have thrown a code. I may be wrong about the fourth gear in a newer truck, but think it has a way to use hydraulic pressure to lock in 4th gear.

As for the brake caliper, I also have had issues. Finally replaced both rear calipers on my 2004 Silverado last spring. Had one caliper sticking. I may have posted about this a few months ago.
Good luck
Old October 9th, 2022, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sk47
Hello; Not able to imagine how a replaced rear end can mess with the transmission directly except for one thing. If the truck is a four wheel drive and you some how put a new rear end with a different axle ratio. The front and rear axles must have the same gearing. Both 3:73 or both 4:11 or whatever.

Also need to post more specs of the truck. A newer truck likely has a electronicly controlled transmission and may have thrown a code. I may be wrong about the fourth gear in a newer truck, but think it has a way to use hydraulic pressure to lock in 4th gear.

As for the brake caliper, I also have had issues. Finally replaced both rear calipers on my 2004 Silverado last spring. Had one caliper sticking. I may have posted about this a few months ago.
Good luck
It wasn't replacing it that I think helped mes my transmission up. It's my old one goin out on me that I believe hurt it. I had helped someone move and had my bed and a trailer I was pulling loaded real heavy. Along the way, I heard an awful noise and pulled over but found nothing wrong so we kept goin. Later that day, my daughter and 2 of her friends and I had a girls night riding around town. My truck just kept feeling off, I can't explain it and it was making new noises I hadn't heard before. So I took them home and went home myself. The next day I opened up my rear cover and had huge chunks of gears fall out. I don't even know how my truck was still driving around, but I think that may have also impacted my transmission. Cuz I know if the rear end is low on fluid it makes the transmission work harder. I just didn't notice my transmission making noise til after putting the other rear end in cuz I had parked it til I fixed it and assumed the noise was coming from my calipers. After checkin my brakes yesterday I believe my calipers are working right now, I may have to adjust my ebrake, but the noise I believe now was my transmission the whole time. And the gear ratio is 3:73 and same as my old one was. My transmission has servos and solenoids I don't believe it locks in with the hydraulic pressure but honestly I don't know. I can drive it and it shifts out smooth just barely have 3rd and no 4th. I'm gonna rebuild my old one that's messed up with help from my husband, then drop this one and put the other 1 in. I was hoping maybe it was something simple like a solenoid I could replace but after more research I'm thinking my clutches are gone. It was a used high mileage transmission and lasted me a year so it was time for it to go probably. And apparently I give my truck hell and I'm hard on it. I just have a lead foot and I do like spinning tires and doin donuts. My bad. Thank you for replying tho I appreciate it.
Old October 9th, 2022, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

What other specs were you needing? I have a 5.3 Vortec, 3:73 gear ratio, all stock, 4x4,246 transfer case, 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab. Anything else you need just let me know.