Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Transmission shifting hard.

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2018, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shifting hard.

Hey all, I've got a 2000 chevy K2500 that recently started shifting hard when going down the road. I changed the transmission fluid in it last week and put a bottle of Lucas transmission fix in with it, well it stopped shifting quite as hard but it's still rough. I was wondering if I should try to put another bottle of Lucas in it or would it make a difference? And if so can I just dump it in instead of draining part of the fluid out first? It says on the bottle you can but I thought I would see if anyone else has used it and how it worked. Thanks, Jarrett
Old December 12th, 2018, 7:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by JarrettM
Hey all, I've got a 2000 chevy K2500 that recently started shifting hard when going down the road. I changed the transmission fluid in it last week and put a bottle of Lucas transmission fix in with it, well it stopped shifting quite as hard but it's still rough. I was wondering if I should try to put another bottle of Lucas in it or would it make a difference? And if so can I just dump it in instead of draining part of the fluid out first? It says on the bottle you can but I thought I would see if anyone else has used it and how it worked. Thanks, Jarrett
Never used Lucas but have heard lots of good reviews on it. It's not going to repair a worn out transmission however much that you want it to. How many miles on the K2500?.
Old December 13th, 2018, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shifting hard

It has 176000 miles on it. Yeah the transmission is just getting worn out on it, I'm gonna try to make it last as long as I can though...hopefully not having to replace or rebuild it, that is if it's worth it.
Old December 14th, 2018, 2:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by JarrettM
It has 176000 miles on it. Yeah the transmission is just getting worn out on it, I'm gonna try to make it last as long as I can though...hopefully not having to replace or rebuild it, that is if it's worth it.
Its all your choice. I like manual transmissions in a pickup in case I need to tow something, just becuase I dont use it was much as a car. If it really gets bad, I'd change it out ofrsell the pickup "as is" myself. Might get some more mileage out of it using a Hayden or other air cooler kit installed, but you'll get more heat to the AC condenser you do, both by blockage and less cool air hitting it, Its an 18 year old transmission after all. If it were mine I'd dump it for a newer Chevy before something breaks.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; December 14th, 2018 at 2:05 AM.