Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2023, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem

So I bought this truck about a month ago and there is a problem with the cluster the gas and engine temp gauges don’t work and battery light stays on and odometer and gears only shows when in accessory but not when running.

I go to add a new aftermarket radio to replace the old aftermarket radio which worked and so I wire everything in color to color and it doesn’t power on.. I find the yellow constant power wire has .2v and also my cluster suddenly the MPH, RPM, and the security light spot don’t work but suddenly my gas and engine temp gauge are up they just aren’t accurate… my oil pres. and voltage still work accurately though.

I run a wire from a 12v constant to the radio 12v constant that was only getting .2v and suddenly my gas and engine temp gauge start going crazy so I turn on the truck and they aren’t functional once again but my other gauges all work as per usual like when i bought the truck..

My radio now works with that bypassed 12v and i was playing music and all of the sudden my dome light which never worked starts flickering as well and my odometer is randomly coming on while the truck is off…

This is all very strange and I believe I have a short somewhere or a bad ground I am very clueless this is beyond my knowledge at this point and I really need some help because this really defeats me and my desire to drive this lovely truck… Does anyone know where I can even begin checking wires???
I do have video of testing
Old August 25th, 2023, 3:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

When we get a series of unrelated electrical problems, we start looking for a poor ground connection. You might start with the grounds from the battery negative to the body sheet metal.
Looking at them does nothing , they should be removed cleaned and reinstalled.