Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2008 Chevy Silverado Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2018, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Chevy Silverado Check engine light

I had so much work done on my truck.. problems were repaired. Now my check engine light is coming on and I had it looked at again.. and I'm told that the sensors are bad and need to be replaced which is why my check engine light won't go off?? How can I make sure that I'm being told the truth? I don't want to try to replace the sensor on a light in my Dash telling me something's wrong with my truck... Or just drive with the light on like like nothing. How am I supposed to know if something's actually really wrong with my truck? Is it something I can do myself with these codes everybody talks about? I'm trying to educate myself on my truck so that I don't have to run into issues like this and I actually know what's going on with my truck. The check engine light has made me a paranoid driver now. Any advice I can get would be seriously appreciated! I hope everybody's having a great day 🙃Thanks
Old August 15th, 2018, 11:04 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Go to Advance Auto or Autozone. They will read the codes for you for free. Then look them up on the internet for an explanation as to what each one means. You can also post the codes on this forum and someone will help you. It might be as simple as a loose gas cap or something more complicated.
The following users liked this post:
Yvonne Reeves (July 30th, 2019)
Old October 19th, 2018, 6:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There may be more than one thing turning on the light. The auto parts dealers mentioned can reset the light. If it doesn't come back on, you're good to go. If it does, you'll know what is giving you the light, but be aware that a generic code reader will not read all of the codes. Some require a dealer reader to tell you what the problem is. If they say it's "undefined", that means it's a GMC specific code.
Old April 19th, 2019, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much for the advice! But will the dealership charge me and then turn around and pressure me to try to get whatever is wrong with it fixed “their” service department?
Old April 19th, 2019, 9:03 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

sure, theyll charge you to read the code then try to let you allow them to fix it.