Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2008 Silverado LT AC blower excessive delay after starting

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2019, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado LT AC blower excessive delay after starting

I picked up a very clean 2008 Silverado for my son for his 16 b-day and noticed something yesterday with the AC. From a cold start, truck will start and there is about a 5-30 sec delay of the AC blowing cold air. It varies but once it starts blowing, it will cycle through all blower ranges without a hiccup and will blow cold with no issues. It's the delay that has me scratching my head. Its a 2008 LT with dual zone. I have tried starting it in auto, manual setting, in blower high, in blower low setting. They all act the same, there is a hesitation before the blower will come on. Sometimes you can feel a slight whisper of air coming out the vents, then BOOM!!! she blows fine and will blow normal for hours on long trips. I have also read that possibly I needed to re-calibrate the actuator door by removing the HVAC-ECAS fuse. My model was fuse #39 and #55. With truck off, removed fuses for about 2 min, replaced fuses and started truck. Temps were at 67* before performing this. After reinstalling fuses, the dual temps were set at 74 and the AC started blowing immediately...... but once I set a lower temp, it shut off for a sec then cam back on. Everything works according to the settings, temp control, blower speeds, etc.... It's just the hesitation that is kinda annoying. Both my 2007 GMC SLT Z-71 and my 2016 Silverado 1500 AC's come on immediately when starting the truck. There is one other thing that I just thought of while typing this. I didn't notice it when i left the lot with it, nor did I notice it at home. My wife saw him in it the other day listening to radio (presetting his channels) with the key on. Yesterday when i first noticed the hesitation in the blower coming on, the battery was weak. The truck turned over, however the battery was weak. probably from him sitting in it with he key on. I'm not sure if possibly a voltage issue would cause this or not. But anyway, if you guys have any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old May 15th, 2019, 1:04 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sdupontjr
I picked up a very clean 2008 Silverado for my son for his 16 b-day and noticed something yesterday with the AC. From a cold start, truck will start and there is about a 5-30 sec delay of the AC blowing cold air. It varies but once it starts blowing, it will cycle through all blower ranges without a hiccup and will blow cold with no issues. It's the delay that has me scratching my head. Its a 2008 LT with dual zone. I have tried starting it in auto, manual setting, in blower high, in blower low setting. They all act the same, there is a hesitation before the blower will come on. Sometimes you can feel a slight whisper of air coming out the vents, then BOOM!!! she blows fine and will blow normal for hours on long trips. I have also read that possibly I needed to re-calibrate the actuator door by removing the HVAC-ECAS fuse. My model was fuse #39 and #55. With truck off, removed fuses for about 2 min, replaced fuses and started truck. Temps were at 67* before performing this. After reinstalling fuses, the dual temps were set at 74 and the AC started blowing immediately...... but once I set a lower temp, it shut off for a sec then cam back on. Everything works according to the settings, temp control, blower speeds, etc.... It's just the hesitation that is kinda annoying. Both my 2007 GMC SLT Z-71 and my 2016 Silverado 1500 AC's come on immediately when starting the truck. There is one other thing that I just thought of while typing this. I didn't notice it when i left the lot with it, nor did I notice it at home. My wife saw him in it the other day listening to radio (presetting his channels) with the key on. Yesterday when i first noticed the hesitation in the blower coming on, the battery was weak. The truck turned over, however the battery was weak. probably from him sitting in it with he key on. I'm not sure if possibly a voltage issue would cause this or not. But anyway, if you guys have any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
While I may be getting old in the tooth, I really dont see an issue here. Almost everything in modern automobiles and even semi-trucks, run through the ECM these days, so it could simply be an ECM programming issue, intentional or otherwise.

As long as the A/C and the actuators are working properly, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Mayhaps the battery is getting on in age, as the radio doesn't consume much battery power, unless it's on for a very long time. Nothing a trickle-charger, or much better, a new battery would not solve at all, IMO.
Old May 15th, 2019, 4:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats my initial thought is the battery. I have seen my wife's Infiniti act up with a low battery and once charged, went back to normal.